Coin Attraction: Understanding Magnetism and Its Effects

In summary, when the force of gravity is smaller than the force exerted by the magnet, the coin will fall.
elnaz
hi,guys
do you know when the coin will fall from a magnet and when would it stay on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since most US coins are non magnetic I would have to say the coin will only stay on the magnet when it is on top or attached with adhesive. Otherwise it will fall off. ;-)

sorry,but i want to mention this situation for an iron coin?:smile:

why is the sky blue?

elnaz said:
hi,guys
When the force of gravity is smaller than the force exerted by the magnet, it will fall. That will depend on the distance from the magnet, the strength of the magnet, and the percentage iron content. (100% iron coins will rust and disintegrate pretty quickly, I think, so I don't think you can get coins out of them.)
elnaz said:
why is the sky blue?
Because light is scattered by particles or groups of particles the same size as their wavelength. Most of the particles in the atmosphere are either smaller than visible light's wavelength, or only just big enough. This means only the smaller wavelengths have any scattering, i.e. blue and purple. This scattering across the sky makes the sky look blue. The reason the sky doesn't look purple is because there is less purple in sunlight and we find it harder to see than blue. This explains other effects too. The reason the sun looks yellow is because the blue light is scattered out of the direct sunlight across the sky leaving a shift in the average colour of the sunlight. This effect is especially pronounced when the sunlight has to go through a long distance of atmosphere, e.g. at sunsets. This means only the longest wavelengths can get through i.e. red and orange light. You can see the same effect with silica aerosol, too.

elnaz said:
hi,guys
You're obviously working on IYPT.

1. What is magnetism and how does it work?

Magnetism is a force that is created by the movement of electric charges. It is caused by the alignment of electrons in a material, which creates a magnetic field. This field attracts or repels other magnetic materials.

2. How does magnetism affect coins?

Coins are made of metal, which contains electrons that can be influenced by a magnetic field. When a coin is placed near a magnet, the magnetic field causes the electrons in the coin to align, creating an attraction between the magnet and the coin.

3. Can all coins be attracted to a magnet?

No, not all coins are attracted to a magnet. This is because some coins are made of non-magnetic materials, such as copper or aluminum. Only coins made of iron, nickel, or cobalt will be attracted to a magnet.

4. Why do some coins stick to a magnet while others do not?

As mentioned before, only coins made of iron, nickel, or cobalt will be attracted to a magnet. This is because these metals have a strong magnetic property, meaning their electrons can easily align and create a strong magnetic field.

5. Can magnetism be used to identify counterfeit coins?

Yes, magnetism can be used to identify counterfeit coins. This is because often counterfeit coins are made of non-magnetic materials and will not be attracted to a magnet. Additionally, some counterfeit coins are made of magnetic materials but have a weaker magnetic field compared to authentic coins.