Relative Time Dilation and Aging in Space Travel

In summary, the equation used to calculate the difference in ages between twin brothers who have different velocities is t=To/√1-v^2/c^2. In this scenario, one twin travels at 0.85c for three years while the other remains at rest on Earth. Using the correct value for the speed of light, we can calculate the difference in ages upon the traveler's return.
disneygirl828

Homework Statement

I have a twin brother, and we're 30 years old. If i travel for three years at 2.55 X 10^8m/s (0.85c) while my brother is a rest on Earth, how much older than me will my brother be upon my return?

Homework Equations

t=To/√1-v^2/c^2

3. Try to work out
To=3
T=?
V= 2.55 X 10^8 m/s
C= (.85c) 2.55 X 10^8 m/s
T= 3/ (all of this under a square root sign -->)1-(2.55 x 10^8)^2/(2.55 x 10^8)^2
t=3/0
*i get stuck here because you can't have a zero in the denominator*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
disneygirl828 said:
T= 3/ (all of this under a square root sign -->)1-(2.55 x 10^8)^2/(2.55 x 10^8)^2
t=3/0
*i get stuck here because you can't have a zero in the denominator*

Hmm, you've done:
[tex]T= \frac{3}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{v^2}}}[/tex]
I'm guessing you've accidentally done this?

BruceW said:
Hmm, you've done:
[tex]T= \frac{3}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{v^2}}}[/tex]
I'm guessing you've accidentally done this?
Yes i used that equation, should I have used something different? If so what?

disneygirl828 said:
t=To/√1-v^2/c^2

This was the right one, i.e. :
[tex]\frac{3}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
c is the speed of light, but you used v instead, which is why the denominator came out as zero.

Last edited:
C = 3 x 10^8 m/s.
Remember this: the difference in ages will be the difference in the proper time and dilated time.

1. What is relative time space travel?

Relative time space travel is a theoretical concept that suggests it is possible to travel through time and space by manipulating the fabric of space-time. It is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are interconnected and can be distorted by gravity and acceleration.

2. How does relative time space travel work?

Relative time space travel involves using advanced technology or natural phenomena to create a distortion in space-time, allowing an object or person to travel to a different point in time and/or space. This can be achieved through methods such as wormholes, black holes, or time dilation.

3. Is relative time space travel possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that relative time space travel is possible. While it is supported by theoretical physics, it is still a concept that has not been proven or tested in reality. The technology and understanding needed to achieve such travel are far beyond our current capabilities.

4. What are the potential consequences of relative time space travel?

The consequences of relative time space travel are largely unknown and can only be speculated upon. However, some theories suggest that it could result in paradoxes, altering the course of history, or creating alternate realities. It could also have physical and psychological effects on the traveler.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding relative time space travel?

As with any technological advancement, there are potential ethical concerns surrounding relative time space travel. Some argue that altering the course of history or creating alternate realities could have unforeseen consequences and should not be pursued. Others raise concerns about the potential exploitation of the technology or the impact on society and culture.