Lagrangian Mechanics for two springs (revisited)

In summary, a student is trying to solve a problem involving 3 springs and 3 masses, and is facing difficulty in describing the potential energy due to gravity for the system. They are unsure how to define the gravitational potential energy for a vertical two spring system. A discussion takes place between multiple individuals, with one suggesting to set the zero of potential energy at the top of the system and another providing a potential energy equation. There is also confusion about the Lagrangian and its coefficients. The student is seeking help to understand and solve the problem.
annamz

Homework Statement

Essentially the problem that I am trying to solve is the same as in this topic except that it is for 3 springs and 3 masses
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=299905

Homework Equations

I have found similar equations as in the topic but I face a problem in describing the potential energy due to gravity for the system. The euler-lagrange equations aren't supposed to have any constants but due to the PE I find that I have constants in my euler-lagrange equations.

How do you define the gravitational potential energy for a vertical two spring system?

Thank you all in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
annamz said:

Homework Statement

Essentially the problem that I am trying to solve is the same as in this topic except that it is for 3 springs and 3 masses
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=299905

Homework Equations

I have found similar equations as in the topic but I face a problem in describing the potential energy due to gravity for the system. The euler-lagrange equations aren't supposed to have any constants but due to the PE I find that I have constants in my euler-lagrange equations.

How do you define the gravitational potential energy for a vertical two spring system?

Thank you all in advance

Setting the zero of potential energy can be made wherever you want. Personally I'd set it at the top of the system. If I label the x-axis as going along with the springs and pointing downward for increasing x, the potential energy of the upper mass would be [itex]-mgd[/itex] where d is the distance between the top of the system and the first mass. The important thing to keep in mind is "the more you go downward, the less gravitational potential energy there is", I think.

fluidistic said:
Setting the zero of potential energy can be made wherever you want. Personally I'd set it at the top of the system. If I label the x-axis as going along with the springs and pointing downward for increasing x, the potential energy of the upper mass would be [itex]-mgd[/itex] where d is the distance between the top of the system and the first mass. The important thing to keep in mind is "the more you go downward, the less gravitational potential energy there is", I think.

Thanks for your reply, that's what I tried to do but I keep getting mixed up between the displacements for example what I found was this:

mg(l+x_1 )+mg(2l+x_2 )+mg(3l+x_3 )

where x_1 is the closest to the ceiling mass and l is the length of each spring at rest. We consider all springs to have the same length. Somehow I feel that the potential I found is not quite right

annamz said:
Thanks for your reply, that's what I tried to do but I keep getting mixed up between the displacements for example what I found was this:

mg(l+x_1 )+mg(2l+x_2 )+mg(3l+x_3 )

where x_1 is the closest to the ceiling mass and l is the length of each spring at rest. We consider all springs to have the same length. Somehow I feel that the potential I found is not quite right

I am not sure but maybe [itex]-[mg(l+x_1)+mg(l+x_1+l+x_2)+mg(l+x_1+l+x_2+l+x_3)]=-mg (6l+3x_1+2x_2+x_3)[/itex] is more appropriated.
Notice that in your Lagrangian must also appear the potential energy of each spring (that you must express in terms of your generalized coordinates x_1, x_2 and x_3).

Hey guys, so I'm stealing this problem because I study the same course. I put my work into a spoiler so that the OP does not cheat if he doesn't want to. But I need help.
My Lagrangian is [itex]\frac{m}{2}(\dot x_1 ^2 + \dot x_2 ^2 + \dot x _3 ^2)+\frac{k}{2}[2x_2^2+x_1^2+x_3^2-2(x_1x_2+x_2x_3)][/itex].
Using Euler-Lagrange equations, I reach the equations of motion:
(1)[itex]m\ddot x_1 +k (x_2-x_1)=0[/itex].
(2)[itex]m\ddot x_3 +k (x_2-x_3)=0[/itex].
(3)[itex]m\ddot x_2+k (x_3+x_1-2x_2)=0[/itex].
At first glance they look reasonable in my opinion. Now I must find the normal modes and frequencies (and the equilibrium positions too). I do not know how to do any of these, which I know is very important.
Hmm to get the equilibrium position I guess I must solve the system of DE's and find the stationary solutions, but this doesn't look like a piece of cake. No idea about the others. I'd appreciate any help.

Can I ask you something?I find the same Lagrangian but the only difference is that the coefficient of x_1^2 is 3 and instead of the product x_1x_2 I found the product x_3x_1

annamz said:
Can I ask you something?I find the same Lagrangian but the only difference is that the coefficient of x_1^2 is 3 and instead of the product x_1x_2 I found the product x_3x_1

Good. This mean we need another person to correct either both of us or one of us :)

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics for two springs?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to analyze the motion of a system of particles. In the case of two springs, it is used to determine the behavior of a system composed of two springs connected to each other.

2. How is Lagrangian Mechanics different from Newtonian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics takes a more general approach compared to Newtonian Mechanics. Instead of using Newton's laws of motion, it uses the principle of least action to describe the motion of a system. This allows for a more elegant and efficient way of analyzing complex systems.

3. What is the role of the Lagrangian in this system?

The Lagrangian is a function that represents the total energy of the system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the particles in the system and is used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

4. How are the equations of motion derived using Lagrangian Mechanics?

The equations of motion for the system can be derived by minimizing the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This results in a set of equations known as the Euler-Lagrange equations, which describe the evolution of the system over time.

5. What are some practical applications of Lagrangian Mechanics for two springs?

Lagrangian Mechanics for two springs has various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It can be used to analyze the dynamics of mechanical systems such as pendulums, oscillators, and vibrating systems. It is also used in the design and control of structures such as bridges, buildings, and airplanes.