Advanced Physics Homework Help: Itex Issues & HTML Entities

• Bug
  • Thread starter turin
  • Start date
In summary: posts with lots and lots of LaTeX take an inordinate amount of time to load in some browsers, and that ticks me off when it takes forever for a page to load.Yes, that is still a problem in IE9; I'm using Firefox and have never had that problem.
turin
Homework Helper
I've noticed that people in the advanced physics homework help forum are quite itex happy. Unfortunately, my browser (Firefox 3.8.6) isn't rendering it, so I just see a mess of commands and control characters. Any suggestions (such as a browser setting)?

Also, are the html entities still favored over full-blown inline tex, whenever possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have JavaScript enabled?

Now that PF uses MathJax, there really isn't the bandwidth reason to favor HTML symbols over TeX.

Is there some reason you can't upgrade to the current version of Firefox which is 10.0.2 (at least under Mac OS)?

Version 10 already! The version I'm using came bundled in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx less than two years ago. I tend to shy away from upgrading, but the version number increase seems exponential. I wonder if there are two different developments of Firefox, one for Mac and one for humble people :)~

(I shy away from Javascript as well, because it seems to emphasize mouse over keyboard. So that explains my issue, which is certainly nothing new, just disappointing.)

Anyway, thanks for the replies, y'all.

turin said:
Version 10 already! The version I'm using came bundled in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx less than two years ago. I tend to shy away from upgrading, but the version number increase seems exponential. I wonder if there are two different developments of Firefox, one for Mac and one for humble people :)~

(I shy away from Javascript as well, because it seems to emphasize mouse over keyboard. So that explains my issue, which is certainly nothing new, just disappointing.)
It's 10.0.2 on Windows too. Once they had released version 4, we got 5,6,7 etc. very quickly. I guess some marketing genius had decided that they need to catch up with Internet Explorer's version numbers.

You will need javascript though. It's annoying that Firefox doesn't allow us to have javascript disabled except for sites on a list of exceptions. I would like that, because there are sites that use javascript to show pop-up ads.

turin said:
Also, are the html entities still favored over full-blown inline tex, whenever possible?
I would say no, since LaTeX no longer puts a load on the server. Since we switched to MathJax, the server doesn't have to render images or store them. It's all done on the client side. However, I recently had this conversation with Mark44:

Mark44 said:
...posts with lots and lots of LaTeX take an inordinate amount of time to load in some browsers, and that ticks me off when it takes forever for a page to load.

Fredrik said:
Is that really still a problem? Some old version of IE (that very few people use) had problems before, but I thought it was fixed by the recent upgrade of MathJax. I'm using Firefox, and I've never had any problems.

Mark44 said:
Yes, it's still a problem in IE9, which is not an old version.
So at least one person, and possibly all IE9 users, would prefer if we avoid LaTeX. It would actually be nice if other IE9 users could let us know if it's really slow for them too. For me (Firefox 10), it usually takes at most a second for the images to appear.

Mark44 said:
...posts with lots and lots of LaTeX take an inordinate amount of time to load in some browsers, and that ticks me off when it takes forever for a page to load.

even in Safari 4.1.3 on Mac OS 10.4.11, some pages take over 30 seconds to load :redface:

Fredrik said:
You will need javascript though. It's annoying that Firefox doesn't allow us to have javascript disabled except for sites on a list of exceptions. I would like that, because there are sites that use javascript to show pop-up ads.
Firefox has a Add-on called NoScript that allows you to kill JavaScript globally or just for individual sites. It has a lot of features including Whitelists, etc. but I mainly use it to block JavaScript for individual sites.

turin said:

Firefox switched to creating a new major version about every two minutes. I have 10.0.2 on Natty.

You should be able to upgrade to FF10 in Lucid.

Last edited:
Borg said:
Firefox has a Add-on called NoScript that allows you to kill JavaScript globally or just for individual sites. It has a lot of features including Whitelists, etc. but I mainly use it to block JavaScript for individual sites.

I second that; Noscript is a pretty powerful addon and also quite lightweight. Has tons of features (including the basic black and white lists), for example you can enable javascript on some sites temporarily as well, protects from clickjacking etc. It is under active development and therefore updates frequently and automatically (does not silently consume bandwidth however). Highly recommended.

1. What are Itex issues in advanced physics homework?

Itex issues refer to problems that arise when using Itex to format equations and symbols in advanced physics homework. Itex is a markup language that allows for the easy representation of mathematical equations in HTML, but it can sometimes cause formatting errors or display issues.

2. How can I fix Itex issues in my advanced physics homework?

The best way to fix Itex issues is to carefully review your code and ensure that all equations and symbols are properly formatted using the correct Itex syntax. You can also refer to online resources or seek help from your instructor or classmates if you are having trouble resolving the issue.

3. What are HTML entities and how are they used in advanced physics homework?

HTML entities are special characters or symbols that have a specific code associated with them. These codes are used to represent characters that cannot be easily typed on a keyboard, such as mathematical symbols or special characters. HTML entities are often used in advanced physics homework to accurately display equations and symbols.

4. How do I use HTML entities in my advanced physics homework?

To use HTML entities in your advanced physics homework, you can simply type the designated code for the symbol or character you want to use. For example, the HTML entity for the Greek letter "delta" is Δ. You can also refer to online resources for a comprehensive list of HTML entities and their corresponding codes.

5. Are there any tips for effectively using Itex and HTML entities in advanced physics homework?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you use Itex and HTML entities more effectively in your advanced physics homework. First, make sure to double check your code for any formatting errors before submitting your assignment. Additionally, it can be helpful to familiarize yourself with common Itex and HTML entity codes to save time and ensure accuracy when writing equations and symbols.