What is the role of tensors in classical mechanics?

In summary, tensors are a powerful mathematical tool that allows us to describe an object's tendency to resist rotation about a fixed or arbitrary axis, and also allows us to generalize this concept to non-euclidean geometries. They also help us to analyze and calculate geometric properties such as distance and angle in these curved geometries.
aeromrk
When I took classical mechanics we were given definitions for an
object's moment of inertia, which I understand to be a scalar quantity that
describes that objects tendency to resist rotation about a fixed axis either
about, or some distance from its center of mass.

I was recently reading about how an object's moment of inertia can also be described as a tensor quantity when the axis of rotation is not fixed, but arbitrary.

I have not had much experience with tensors, the extent of my knowledge is mostly conceptual at this point, so I will not be able to decipher the math, however, I was hoping somebody could give me a more conceptual description of what this means, specifically rotation about an arbitrary axis, I'm have a hard time wrapping my head around that. Anybody have an example?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
aeromrk said:
When I took classical mechanics we were given definitions for an
object's moment of inertia, which I understand to be a scalar quantity that
describes that objects tendency to resist rotation about a fixed axis either
about, or some distance from its center of mass.

I was recently reading about how an object's moment of inertia can also be described as a tensor quantity when the axis of rotation is not fixed, but arbitrary.

I have not had much experience with tensors, the extent of my knowledge is mostly conceptual at this point, so I will not be able to decipher the math, however, I was hoping somebody could give me a more conceptual description of what this means, specifically rotation about an arbitrary axis, I'm have a hard time wrapping my head around that. Anybody have an example?

Cheers

The best way to think about a tensor in this context is to think about both a change in the co-ordinate system from one system to another and then to think about what happens you apply a transformation of one sort (think transformation = a kind of function).

The easiest example of co-ordinate transformations is from Cartesian/Euclidean (the standard basis and the normal intuitive right-angle co-ordinate system) to the polar system. The cartesian system is (x,y,z) and the polar is (r,theta,gamma) or whatever you want to call your angles.

Now tensor theory allows you to figure out how to go from coordinate system A to coordinate system B and also to figure out how to go from the geometry of A to the geometry of B by using the fact that the metric tensor describes the inner products at each element of the bases as well as the metric.

So let's say you have some kind of transformation A(x) where x is a vector in an initial co-ordinate system. Then what you can do using tensor theory is to figure out A(X) where X is in a new co-ordinate system.

The other thing is that tensor theory generalizes to tensors of more than a 2nd order rank. Think of a vector as 1st order and a normal matrix of 2nd order. The tensors are the generalization of a multilinear object.

This means that we can deal with multilinear systems algebraically that are too hard to think about visually in a matrix form (although we could if we wanted find the multilinear system in the form of a reduced matrix), but still be able to analyze the effects of the tensors algebraically.

Think about say when we want to deal with situations where we have del x F, del(F), del . F and so on where we have an arbitrary number of dimensions. Also think about rotations when we have large number of dimensions or when we are working in a non-euclidean co-ordinate system. We can write down rotations about an arbitrary axis in tensor form very easily and if we need to combine this with other tensor formulations, then again using the tensor framework it's a lot easier.

So to sum up, think about tensors as going from on geometry to another and also that tensors generalize the way to go from one geometry to another even if one or another geometry is not flat (non-euclidean) and we can also get the associated inner products and metric information for our curved geometries which means we can do all the geometric calculations that involve distance and angle and relate these quantities between the different geometries.

What is moment of inertia as a tensor?

Moment of inertia as a tensor is a physical quantity that describes the rotational inertia of a rigid body. It measures the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion and is represented by a tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between the rotational motion and the applied torque.

How is moment of inertia as a tensor calculated?

Moment of inertia as a tensor is calculated by taking the mass of each particle in a rigid body, multiplying it by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and summing all of these values. This calculation is typically done using a coordinate system and involves integration to account for the distribution of mass in the object.

What is the difference between moment of inertia as a scalar and as a tensor?

Moment of inertia as a scalar represents the rotational inertia of an object with respect to a specific axis of rotation. This value is the same regardless of the coordinate system used. On the other hand, moment of inertia as a tensor takes into account the orientation of the object and is represented by a 3x3 matrix, making it more complex but also more accurate for describing rotational motion in three dimensions.

What are the applications of moment of inertia as a tensor?

Moment of inertia as a tensor has many applications in physics and engineering, including analyzing the stability and dynamics of rotating objects, understanding the behavior of gyroscopes and flywheels, and designing structures that can resist rotational forces. It is also important in fields such as robotics and aerospace engineering.

How does moment of inertia as a tensor relate to other physical quantities?

Moment of inertia as a tensor is related to other physical quantities such as angular velocity, angular momentum, and torque. In particular, it is directly proportional to angular momentum and inversely proportional to angular velocity, meaning that a larger moment of inertia will result in a slower rotational motion for a given angular momentum. It also plays a role in the equations of motion for rotating objects and is affected by external torques acting on an object.