Viewing night sky in the middle of a major city

In summary, the speakers live in the middle of a major city and have limited visibility of the night sky due to light pollution. One speaker prefers planets over stars and is attempting to study exoplanet transit light curves despite the challenges posed by streetlights. The other speaker jokes about the possibility of seeing a fictional planet, Mothra, in the night sky.
BadBrain
Wouldn't do me any good. I live in the middle of a major city, and, the last time I looked at the night sky at my true local astronomical midnight, it looked like God had turned out the lights.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

BadBrain said:
Wouldn't do me any good. I live in the middle of a major city...
As do I. But I prefer planets to stars. And it's not too bad for planets.

I'm lucky - I live right on the lake, which is to the south, so at least half my sky is relatively dark.

DaveC426913 said:
As do I. But I prefer planets to stars. And it's not too bad for planets.

I'm lucky - I live right on the lake, which is to the south, so at least half my sky is relatively dark.

I'm attempting to do exoplanet transit light curves with two streetlights about 100 ft away in both directions. I can't even see M31 near zenith here. :frown:

Drakkith said:
I'm attempting to do exoplanet transit light curves with two streetlights about 100 ft away

You will fail. Exoplanets are very far away. Much too far to transit in front of a streetlight.

: biggrin :

DaveC426913 said:
You will fail. Exoplanets are very far away. Much too far to transit in front of a streetlight.

: biggrin :

Unless it's planet Mothra. :biggrin:

What are the challenges of viewing the night sky in the middle of a major city?

The main challenges of viewing the night sky in a major city are light pollution and air pollution. The artificial lights from buildings, streetlights, and cars can make it difficult to see the stars and other celestial objects. Additionally, the air pollution caused by city life can obstruct the view and make the sky appear hazy or cloudy.

What can I do to improve my view of the night sky in a major city?

To improve your view of the night sky in a major city, you can try finding a higher vantage point such as a rooftop or a park with less light pollution. You can also use a telescope or binoculars to see more distant objects. It may also help to wait for a night with less air pollution, such as after a rainstorm or on a windy night.

Which celestial objects are visible in the night sky in a major city?

The visibility of celestial objects in the night sky in a major city depends on the level of light and air pollution. Generally, you should still be able to see the moon, planets like Venus and Mars, and bright stars like Sirius and Betelgeuse. However, fainter stars, galaxies, and nebulae may be difficult to see.

Why is it important to protect the night sky in major cities?

Protecting the night sky in major cities is important for both environmental and cultural reasons. Light pollution not only obstructs our view of the stars, but it also disrupts the natural behaviors of animals and plants. It also contributes to energy waste and can impact human health. Additionally, preserving the night sky allows for cultural traditions and astronomical research to continue without interference.

Can I still stargaze in a major city?

Yes, you can still stargaze in a major city, but it may require some extra effort and planning. You may need to find a dark sky park or travel to a less populated area to get a better view. It may also help to research the best times of year and specific celestial events to view in your city. With determination and a little bit of luck, you can still enjoy the wonders of the night sky in a major city.