Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion

In summary, the best way to approach this question is to start by looking at the Lewis structure of the molecule, and then working backwards to determine the valence electrons and the coordinate bonds.
Psychae
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the reasoning for what follows, I'm thinking I must just be missing something quite obvious but I can't seem to see what that is at the moment! :redface:

I understand how to get the structure by starting from a 'skeleton structure' and just filling in electrons and then creating the double bond so that each atom has a complete octet (and to get FC as close to 0 and ignoring resonance structures etc):
1.jpg

But I start to have difficulty when I try and do it showing all the valence electrons, I know the right structure:
2.png
but I'm just wondering how how get that if you start drawing it yourself? I started by drawing all of the atoms with each of their electrons shown singly and then pairing them, and then adding in the 'extra' electron, so it's something like this:
3.png

I'm just not sure how you work it out, and the coordinate bond seems to be making it even more difficult for me!

Sorry for the length of this, there were a couple of other things I was going to ask about it but I'm thinking they might be obvious if I get the answer to this so left them out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this type of question is to start by looking at the Lewis structure of the molecule. This structure will give you an understanding of the bonding and the arrangement of the atoms. Once you have the Lewis structure, you can then start to draw out the valence electrons for each atom. From there, you can then determine how the electrons should be paired up to form double and single bonds. Finally, you can add any coordinate bonds that are needed to satisfy the octet rule. Remember, each atom should have a complete octet of electrons in order for the molecule to be stable.

What is the Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion?

The Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion is represented by the chemical formula NO3-. It consists of one nitrogen atom in the center surrounded by three oxygen atoms. The nitrogen atom has 5 valence electrons, and each oxygen atom has 6 valence electrons.

How do you draw the Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion?

To draw the Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion, first, determine the total number of valence electrons by adding the valence electrons of each atom. In this case, it would be 5 + (3 x 6) = 23. Then, place the nitrogen atom in the center, surrounded by three oxygen atoms. Place one pair of electrons between each nitrogen-oxygen bond, and then fill the remaining valence electrons around the atoms, starting with the outermost shells.

Why is the Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion important?

The Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion is important because it helps us understand the bonding and structure of the molecule. It shows the arrangement of atoms and the sharing of electrons, which is important in determining the properties and behavior of the compound.

What is the formal charge of nitrate ion in its Lewis dot structure?

The formal charge of nitrate ion in its Lewis dot structure is -1. This is because the nitrogen atom has 5 valence electrons, but in the structure, it is surrounded by 6 electrons (3 lone pairs and 1 bond). The formal charge of each oxygen atom is 0, as they each have 6 valence electrons and are surrounded by 6 electrons in the structure.

What is the significance of the negative charge in the Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion?

The negative charge in the Lewis dot structure of nitrate ion indicates that the molecule has an overall negative charge. This means that it has gained an extra electron, making it an anion. The negative charge also helps us understand the reactivity and chemical properties of the nitrate ion.