Preparing solution of low solubility organics in water

In summary: No simple answer to this question, as it depends on the concentrations you need, glass at hand and accuracy required. But as long as your stock concentration is not much higher than the concentration of the final solutions (say you need 100 mg/L and your stock is 200 mg/L) making stock can be a waste of time.
FaNgS
I'm making a stock solution of xylene in water.

The solubility of xylene in water is 200 mg/L (Andrews and Keefer 1949). The density of xylene is 864 mg/mL.

Making 1 L stock solution is too much and a waste.

0.23mL (or 230µL) of xylene is equivalent to 198.72mg. To make the stock solution, if I add the 0.23mL of xylene to 50mL of water the concentration is 3974.40 mg/L.

This is where I'm confused and I feel silly.

I'm getting confused between the 198.72mg of xylene and the stock concentration 3974.40mg/L. Which one should I be looking at?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Something is wrong. You can't have a stock solution with concentration higher than the solubility.

Borek said:
Something is wrong. You can't have a stock solution with concentration higher than the solubility.

I think I figured out that I should be looking at the concentration of the solution rather than the mass of the analyte.

After a bit of number crunching this is what I got:

If I add 57µL which is equivalent to 49.248mg of xylene and make it up to 250mL of water I get a solution concentration of 196.99mg/L.

Is this right?

Looks OK, but I wonder if it makes sense.

Are you aiming at the saturated solution? If so, take some excess of xylene (don't waste your time measuring exactly 57 µL) - whatever dissolves, dissolves, whatever is left, will float on the surface. Just use separating funnel to make sure you have just solution without xylene on the surface, otherwise taking samples will be difficult.

Borek said:
Looks OK, but I wonder if it makes sense.

Are you aiming at the saturated solution? If so, take some excess of xylene (don't waste your time measuring exactly 57 µL) - whatever dissolves, dissolves, whatever is left, will float on the surface. Just use separating funnel to make sure you have just solution without xylene on the surface, otherwise taking samples will be difficult.

You have an excellent point.

Now here's something else that is weird.

Lets say I make a 250mL stock solution of xylene with a concentration of 190mg/L (slightly lower than the max solubility!).

If I want to make a 500mL solution with a concentration of 100mg/L using the stock solution. Using C1 * V1 = C2 * V2 where C1 and V1 are the concentration and volume of the stock solution, respectively, and C2 and V2 are the concentration and volume of the standard solution which I want to make.
According to my calculations I would need 263mL of stock. Is the only way around this to make a stock solution of higher volume (> 250mL)?

FaNgS said:
Lets say I make a 250mL stock solution of xylene with a concentration of 190mg/L (slightly lower than the max solubility!).

If I want to make a 500mL solution with a concentration of 100mg/L using the stock solution. Using C1 * V1 = C2 * V2 where C1 and V1 are the concentration and volume of the stock solution, respectively, and C2 and V2 are the concentration and volume of the standard solution which I want to make.
According to my calculations I would need 263mL of stock. Is the only way around this to make a stock solution of higher volume (> 250mL)?

Yes. Nothing weird here.

Borek said:
Yes. Nothing weird here.

Thank you. I'm just having one of those nights.

One last thing. Is there any other way besides using a burette to accurately transfer large liquid volumes between 100-400mL?

How accurately?

A typical large burette is 100 mL. It is possible to buy a larger one, but it can be either difficult or expensive. These volumes are more often measured with a cylinder.

I've calculated how much of stock solution I would need to make lower concentration solutions and looking at the volumes and glassware capacities at my disposal I would need to transfer liquids several times to get the required amount before diluting which would add errors.

Would it be better to make solutions with the desired concentrations I require rather than diluting a higher concentrated stock solution?

FaNgS said:
Would it be better to make solutions with the desired concentrations I require rather than diluting a higher concentrated stock solution?

No simple answer to this question, as it depends on the concentrations you need, glass at hand and accuracy required. But as long as your stock concentration is not much higher than the concentration of the final solutions (say you need 100 mg/L and your stock is 200 mg/L) making stock can be a waste of time.

I haven't done this before but what do you think about measuring the density of my stock solution and calculating the mass required to be diluted?

Density of your stock solution will be almost exactly that of water.

Is it frowned upon to use mass rather than volumes to transfer liquids?

Volume of liquid is something you can measure easily compared to mass, so I guess...

FaNgS said:
Is it frowned upon to use mass rather than volumes to transfer liquids?

No, but - as AGNuke mentioned - volume measurements are usually easier.

What is the process for preparing a solution of low solubility organics in water?

The process for preparing a solution of low solubility organics in water involves several steps. First, you will need to determine the solubility of the organic compound in water. This can usually be found in the compound's safety data sheet or through a solubility chart. Next, measure out the desired amount of the organic compound and add it to a beaker or flask. Then, slowly add water to the compound while stirring until it reaches the desired concentration. If the compound is not fully dissolved, you may need to use heat or a solvent to help with the dissolving process. Finally, filter the solution to remove any remaining undissolved particles.

What precautions should I take when preparing a solution of low solubility organics in water?

When working with any chemicals, it is important to take proper safety precautions. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and disposal methods. Additionally, when preparing a solution of low solubility organics in water, be sure to slowly add water to the compound and avoid inhaling any fumes that may be produced.

How do I know if my solution of low solubility organics in water is properly mixed?

To ensure that your solution is properly mixed, you can perform a visual inspection. The solution should appear clear and uniform in color. You can also use a stirring rod to gently stir the solution and check for any undissolved particles. If there are still particles present, continue stirring or consider using a solvent or heat to aid in the dissolving process.

Can I adjust the concentration of my solution of low solubility organics in water?

Yes, the concentration of your solution can be adjusted by adding more water or more of the organic compound. However, it is important to be cautious when making adjustments as adding too much of the organic compound can lead to oversaturation and potentially dangerous reactions. It is recommended to start with a small amount of compound and gradually add more until the desired concentration is reached.

How should I store my solution of low solubility organics in water?

The storage conditions for your solution will depend on the specific organic compound being used. Some compounds may require refrigeration or storage in a cool, dry place to prevent degradation. It is important to refer to the compound's safety data sheet for specific storage instructions. Additionally, be sure to label the solution with its contents, concentration, and date prepared for proper identification and safe handling.