Hybridized orbitals (can't understand diagram)

In summary: But they are all energetically less favorable than the fully filled subshells, so they tend to be neglected.No, he says that 1s2 exists, but doesn't matter when talking about hybrydization and can be safely ignored. But I agree that the original statement was lousy to say the least.
coconut62
Please see attachment.

1. "Now the 2s orbital and two of the 2p orbitals of B hybridize to form a set of three equivalent sp2 hybrid orbitals." The notes says.

Can someone tell me why are there two 2p orbitals in B? I thought electronic configuration of B is 1s2 2s2 2p1?

2. What does the [He] beside B mean?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Chem.jpg
    Chem.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 350
Chemistry news on Phys.org
coconut62 said:
Can someone tell me why are there two 2p orbitals in B? I thought electronic configuration of B is 1s2 2s2 2p1?

Orbitas - as a place for an electron - exist regardless of whether they are occupied or not.

What does the [He] beside B mean?

It is a shortcut notation - replace [He] with configuration of the noble gas.

Why is Helium needed? Is it the Boron itself hybridizes or it hybridizes together with He?

coconut62 said:
Why is Helium needed? Is it the Boron itself hybridizes or it hybridizes together with He?

Helium is not needed, the notation simply means the electronic configuration of He.

So, instead of 1s2 2s2 2p1; as He is 1s2 you can write it as [He] 2s2 2p1. May not be so much of an advantage here, but in larger atoms like e.g. Gold, or Iodine having to write out lots of terms each time is prone to error.

Think about cesium. [Xe] 6s1 looks much more neat than 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2 4d10 5p6 6s1, doesn't it? And they mean exactly the same.

So the [He] is actually together with the dotted square, not the B on the left?

And is the energy level of the hybrid orbitals lower than the 2p's? And higher than the 2s?

coconut62 said:
So the [He] is actually together with the dotted square, not the B on the left?

You can put it that way.

How about its energy level?

B has three 2p orbitals. And one 2s.
Empty orbital doesn't hybridize.

ycheff said:
B has three 2p orbitals. And one 2s.
Empty orbital doesn't hybridize.

Where is its 1s?

1s2 - (or [He]) - closed shell.
It can't hybridize. Too much energy gap between 1s and 2s.

So you're saying that a B atom never has a 1s subshell? Even when it is an independent atom and not bonded to others?

No, he says that 1s2 exists, but doesn't matter when talking about hybrydization and can be safely ignored. But I agree that the original statement was lousy to say the least.

How come boron has so many subshells when it has only five electrons?

1s2 2s2 2p1 no?

is the 1s2 empty?

Technically all possible subshells always exist, they are just not occupied in the unexcited atom.

1. What are hybridized orbitals?

Hybridized orbitals are a combination of atomic orbitals that result from the mixing of different types of orbitals. This process occurs to create a more stable bond between atoms in a molecule.

2. How are hybridized orbitals represented in a diagram?

Hybridized orbitals are often represented in a diagram using different shapes and colors to show the combination of orbitals. For example, a hybridized orbital involving an s orbital and two p orbitals may be shown as a sp2 orbital with a trigonal planar shape.

3. What is the purpose of hybridized orbitals?

The purpose of hybridized orbitals is to create stronger bonds between atoms in a molecule. This is because the hybridized orbitals can overlap and form stronger bonds compared to the original atomic orbitals.

4. How do hybridized orbitals affect the shape of a molecule?

Hybridized orbitals can affect the shape of a molecule because they determine the arrangement of atoms in a molecule. The type of hybridization, such as sp3 or sp2, will determine the bond angles and overall shape of the molecule.

5. Can you give an example of a molecule with hybridized orbitals?

One example of a molecule with hybridized orbitals is methane (CH4). The carbon atom in methane has sp3 hybridized orbitals, which allows for the formation of four strong covalent bonds with the four hydrogen atoms.