Searching for Josephson Junctions

• Thread starter forex10
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for off the shelf Josephson Junctions for experimental purposes but has only found specialized semiconductor designs. They do not have access to cryogenic equipment and were hoping to find ceramic superconductors as an alternative, but it is still necessary to have cryogenic equipment in order to operate Josephson junctions.
forex10
Hello,
I am searching for off the shelf Josephson Junctions for experimental purposes. All I have found is a specialized semiconductor design/fabrication business. I am not a huge expert on physics or electronics, but I would think they would be more available than what I have found. Also, I am not looking for squids. I hope some one can help me out.

Joe L.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have access to liquid helium, or a 2-stage cryocooler?

There are a few companies that could probably sell you chips with Josephson junctions, but they all (maybe with one exception) use Nb technology, i.e. you need to cool the junction down to around 4K.

No I do not have access to any cryogenic equipment. The reason I wanted to find ceramic superconductors was to try to avoid that, but from what I am learning ceramic alloys SC's could still be enhanced with some extra cooling. Thanks for your reply.

Even with ceramic superconductors you still need cryogenic equipment, YBCO has a Tc of 92K; but you really need to be down at 77K (liquid nitrogen), and ideally colder, in order to operate Josephson junctions.

Hello Joe,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your search for Josephson Junctions. I can understand your frustration in not being able to find them readily available for your experimental purposes. Josephson Junctions are specialized devices that are typically used in research and high-tech industries, so it is not surprising that they may not be easily found in mainstream markets.

One possibility is to reach out to universities or research institutions that specialize in superconductivity and quantum electronics. They may have the resources and expertise to provide or point you in the direction of where to find Josephson Junctions.

Additionally, you could also consider contacting the specialized semiconductor design and fabrication businesses you have come across. They may be able to provide customized Josephson Junctions or have connections to other suppliers.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope you are able to find the Josephson Junctions you need for your experiments.

Best,

1. What are Josephson junctions?

Josephson junctions are superconducting devices made of two superconducting materials separated by a thin insulating layer. They exhibit unique quantum mechanical properties, such as the Josephson effect, which allows for the flow of supercurrent without any resistance.

2. How are Josephson junctions used in scientific research?

Josephson junctions are used in a wide range of scientific research, including quantum computing, high-speed electronics, and ultra-sensitive detectors. They are also used in the study of fundamental physics, such as the properties of superconductors and quantum entanglement.

3. What is the importance of searching for Josephson junctions?

Finding and studying Josephson junctions is crucial for developing new technologies and understanding the behavior of superconducting materials. It also has the potential to lead to breakthroughs in quantum computing and other fields.

4. How do scientists search for Josephson junctions?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to search for Josephson junctions, including fabricating them in a controlled environment, using specialized microscopes to visualize their properties, and performing experiments to observe their unique quantum effects.

5. Are Josephson junctions being used in any real-world applications?

Yes, Josephson junctions are already being used in some real-world applications, such as in the development of superconducting quantum interference devices (SQUIDs) for medical imaging and magnetic field detection. They are also being explored for use in high-speed computing and communication technologies.