Kinematics Car Distance Problem

In summary: I was wrong when i said that i got 81 seconds, i was actually using the wrong formula. Now, with the right formula i get 80.96 seconds just like you. I have used the forumla you told me about, i have learned how to use the quadratic formula in problems concerning physics. Thank you again, you have taught me very well.In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a car to travel 1100 meters from B to C, given an initial velocity of at least 20 km/hr and an acceleration of 0.2 m/s^2. Using the formula xf=xi+vit+0.5at^2, the time is found to be approximately 80.
blumfeld0
I have a problem that I just can't get a handle on.
You have a car that drives from A to B in 1620 seconds and then B to C.
The total distance from A to C is 10,000 meters (A to C is a straight line)
The acceleration of the car from B to C is .2 m/s^2
I need to know how long the car takes to go from B to C IF it it travel from
A to C in a total time of LESS than 1800 seconds (30 minutes)
the distance from A to B is 8900 meters and B to C is 1100 meteres

Thank you

blumfeld0

Physics news on Phys.org
IF it it travels from
A to C in a total time of LESS than 1800 seconds (30 minutes)

&

The total distance from A to C is 10,000 meters (A to C is a straight line)
This is like saying the car drives from A to C doing at least 20 km/hr

So your question becomes:
How long does it take a car to travel 1100 meters given that its initial velocity is at least 20 km/hr and it is accelerating at 0.2 m/s^2?

I'd still need to know what initial velocity is. Without that, I could only give you a range of answers, using 20 and infinity as velocity to compute the answer.

Maybe your answer is supposed to be in the form:
"The car will take no longer than ____ to travel from B to C."

Last edited:
well, I might be wrong but i would say it would take about 50.74 seconds. First, i found the velocity of the car from a to b (v=d/t), knowing that i had the initial velocity to start thinking about the problem from point b to c. Then i use the formula vf^2=vi^2+2ad for and I plugged in for vi= 5.49 m/s a=.2m/s^2 (given) d= 1100m (from point b to c) then i would have the final velocity with that i used v=d/t and changed it to t=d/v and i got 50.74 seconds. I might be wrong and if you find the right answer let me know

I think you got it wrong. Disregard my original post. I fell for the irrelevant data trick.

Once you find your final velocity, compute your average velocity (B to C) and use that in your t=d/v formula.

Or use the formula xf=xi+vit+0.5at^2 and use the quadratic equation. I get the same answer both ways.

It is ok (in a way) if I got it wrong. It is all about knowing how to do it. However, what irrelevant data are you talking about?... I got vf=21.68, i know that you said that after you plugged the final velocity into both of the formulas you got the same answer, however, i did not, so yes, i see that i could have made a mistake. It would be helpful if you would tell me perhaps how you achieved your answer and ofcourse state all of the calculations you made, that way i could compare, understand, and learn how to do the problem. Thank you.

What answers did you get?

The irrelevant data is this: "it travel from A to C in a total time of LESS than 1800 seconds".

I didn't use 1800 for anything.

No, I didn't plug the final velocity into either formula. The 1st formula (t=d/v) wants average velocity for v, and the 2nd formula wants initial velocity.
Average velocity = (final velocity + initial velocity) / 2

Did you try the quadratic way?

Everytime i use a different formula i get a different answer which has confused me in a way, quadratic way? if by that you mean "xf=xi+vit+0.5at^2" what is x? distance? if it is then i have never seen such equation before and it gives me a negative distance which i cannot take the sq root of since it would be a non real answer. For such reason, i don't believe that x would stand for distance. After using some other formulas i have gotten 81 seconds using avg velocity. I do not understand why you did not use avg velocity.

I got 81 too.

I can't seem to get TEX to work in preview mode, so this will be ugle

The quadratic way: (this way is harder, but it's good to know how)

xf=xi+vit+0.5at^2

1100=0+5.49t+0.5*0.2t^2

set it equal to 0

0.1t^2+5.49t-1100=0

a=0.1
b=5.49
c=-1100

t=(-b+-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/2a

Since it's + or - sqrt, you need to do it twice and discard the unreasonable answer:

t=(-5.49+sqr(5.49^2-4*0.1*-1100))/(2*0.1)

t=80.96 (accept this answer since it agrees with your other answer and it seems reasonable)

or

t=(-5.49-sqr(5.49^2-4*0.1*-1100))/(2*0.1)
t=-135.9 (disragerd this answer since your time can't be negative)

Thank you very much, tony873004, for i have learned some things thanks to you. Things that i had not learned or perhaps that i had not paid enough attention to, which i regret.

What is Kinematics Car Distance Problem?

Kinematics Car Distance Problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the distance traveled by a car based on its initial velocity, acceleration, and time.

What are the key equations used in Kinematics Car Distance Problem?

The key equations used in Kinematics Car Distance Problem are:

• Distance = Initial Velocity * Time + 1/2 * Acceleration * Time^2
  • Final Velocity = Initial Velocity + Acceleration * Time
  • Average Velocity = (Initial Velocity + Final Velocity) / 2

How is Kinematics Car Distance Problem different from Kinematics Car Motion Problem?

Kinematics Car Distance Problem focuses on calculating the distance traveled by a car, while Kinematics Car Motion Problem involves calculating the car's velocity and acceleration at a given time.

What are the units of measurement used in Kinematics Car Distance Problem?

The units of measurement used in Kinematics Car Distance Problem are meters (m) for distance, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration, and seconds (s) for time.

How can I solve a Kinematics Car Distance Problem?

To solve a Kinematics Car Distance Problem, you need to gather all the given information, such as initial velocity, acceleration, and time. Then, plug these values into the appropriate equation and solve for distance.