Capacitors Homework Help: Solving Ideas for Initial Charge and Kirchoff's Laws

In summary, the conversation discusses potential solutions for a problem involving charged capacitors. The participants mention using Kirchoff's law and the conservation of total charge in the circuit to derive equations that can be used to solve the problem. However, there is uncertainty regarding whether the net charge of the circuit is maintained before and after the switch is closed. The possibility of using Kirchoff's law for the entire circuit is also mentioned.
villampaxo
any ideas on solving this? (the capacitors are initially charged) I have some ideas but `im not sure which one is correct... I know that Q remains the same between C1 and C2, so that V1C1 + V2C2 = v1'C1 + V2'C2. From there, i don`t know if i can do the same thing for capacitors C2 and C3. I can use Kirchoff for the whole circuit... Is the total charge before and after the switch is closed maintened so that i can use: V1C1 + V2C2 + V3C3= v1'C1 + V2'C2 + V3'C2 ? (Vx' after the switch is closed, Vx before)

Attachments

• capac.jpg
    capac.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I`d appreciate a quick reply `cause I have exams coming up...

The net charge of the whole circuit seems to be zero. So I'm not sure that whether you can you use it or not. But I don't have any idea either.

Last edited:
I think the answer is: that the charge between C1 and C2 is the same before and after the switch is closed, and the total charge of the circuit remains the same so: C1V1 + C2V2= C1V'1+ C2V'2 and also, the total charge of the circuit remains the same so you ve got two equations. I think that kirchhoff can be used too.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and it is commonly used in electronic circuits to regulate and filter electrical signals.

2. How do capacitors work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates. The insulating material, or dielectric, between the plates prevents the charges from flowing between them, thus storing the energy in the form of an electric field.

3. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are many different types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and tantalum capacitors. They vary in size, capacitance value, voltage rating, and other properties, making them suitable for different applications. It is important to select the right type of capacitor for a specific circuit or project.

4. How do I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in Farads, Q is the charge in Coulombs, and V is the voltage in Volts. The capacitance can also be found by looking at the capacitor's datasheet or by using a multimeter to measure its value.

5. Can I use a capacitor for energy storage?

Yes, capacitors can be used for energy storage, but they are not as efficient as other methods such as batteries. Capacitors have a limited energy storage capacity and tend to discharge quickly, making them better suited for short-term energy storage or as part of a larger energy storage system.