How Much Work Is Needed to Move a Charge in an Electric Field?

• Thread starter seang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the problem asks for the magnitude of work required to move a point charge q2 = 5.60uC from (0.180 m,0) to (0,0.370 m) in the presence of a fixed point charge q1 = 2.30uC located at the origin. Remember, the electric force is conservative and therefore the path traveled does not affect the total work done. The equation W = -\Delta PE can be used to find the potential energy at each point, and W = F DOT d must be used when the force is not constant.
seang
A positive point charge q1 = 2.30uC is located at the origin (x=0, y=0). The charge is held fixed. Another point charge q2 = 5.60uC starts at the point (0.180 m,0). What is the magnitude of the work required to move q2 to
(0,0.370 m) (in J)?

How do I do this?

I know W =Fd, but I don't think I can use the equation F = (k1q2)/r^2, because the distance is constantly changing.

Can anyone at least give me a hint or some insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, the electric force is conservative. That means that the path traveled does NOT affect the total work done. It's simply a matter of where the point starts, and where it ends. Find the potential energy at each place, and [itex]W = -\Delta PE[/itex].

Note that work is only done when r changes, by the way. Otherwise, the charge is traveling on an equipotential surface, and you get to move it around for free.

Also, W = F DOT d, which is an important distinction.

Indeed, W=Fd holds only if F is constant. If F changes over the distance, you have to cut the distance into many small pieces and take F to be constant over each piece and sum up the contributions. In other words: integrate.

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical concept in physics that represents a single electric charge concentrated at a single point in space. It is used to simplify calculations in electrostatics and is often represented by the symbol 'q'.

2. How is point charge different from a regular charge?

A regular charge is distributed over an object or surface, while a point charge is considered to be concentrated at a single point. This means that a point charge has no physical dimensions and has an infinitesimal size.

3. What is a work problem in relation to point charges?

A work problem involving point charges refers to calculating the amount of work done in moving a point charge from one location to another in an electric field. This is based on the principle that work is done when a force is applied over a distance.

4. How is work calculated in a point charge/work problem?

The work done in a point charge/work problem is calculated using the formula W = q∆V, where W is the work done, q is the point charge, and ∆V is the change in electric potential between the two points. This formula is based on the relationship between electric potential and electric field.

5. What are some real-life applications of point charge/work problems?

Point charge/work problems have various real-life applications, such as in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, the calculation of forces on charged particles in particle accelerators, and the study of electric fields in medical imaging techniques like MRI.