Complex Function: Real & Imaginary Parts, Square, Reciprocal & Absolute Value

In summary, we discussed the imaginary and real parts, square, reciprocal, and norm of the complex function y(x,t)=ie^{i(kx-\omega t)}. The imaginary part is cos(kx- \omega t), the real part is -sin(kx- \omega t), the square is -cos(2(kx- \omega t))-isin(2((kx- \omega t)), the reciprocal is -icos(kx- \omega t)-sin(kx- \omega t), and the norm is \sqrt{cos^2(kx- \omega t)+sin^2(kx- \omega t)}.
UrbanXrisis
I am to find the imaginary part, real part, square, reciprocal, and absolut value of the complex function:

[tex]y(x,t)=ie^{i(kx-\omega t)} [/tex]
[tex]y(x,t)=i\left( cos(kx- \omega t)+ i sin(kx- \omega t) \right)[/tex]
[tex]y(x,t)=icos(kx- \omega t)-sin(kx- \omega t)[/tex]

the imaginary part is [tex]cos(kx- \omega t)[/tex]

the real part is [tex]-sin(kx- \omega t)[/tex]

the square is:
[tex]-cos^2(kx- \omega t)-2icos(kx- \omega t)sin(kx- \omega t)+sin^2(kx- \omega t)[/tex]
[tex]=-cos^2(kx- \omega t)-isin(2kx-2 \omega t)+sin^2(kx- \omega t)[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{2}(1+cos(2(kx- \omega t))-isin(2((kx- \omega t))+\frac{1}{2}(1-cos(2(kx- \omega t))[/tex]
[tex]=-cos(2(kx- \omega t))-isin(2((kx- \omega t))[/tex]

the reciprocal is:
[tex]\frac{1}{ie^{i(kx- \omega t)}}[/tex]
[tex]=-ie^{-i(kx- \omega t)}[/tex]
[tex]=-icos(kx- \omega t)-sin(kx- \omega t)[/tex]

absolute value: (not to sure about this...)
[tex]=|icos(kx- \omega t)-sin(kx- \omega t)|[/tex]
[tex]cos^2(kx- \omega t)+sin^2(kx- \omega t)[/tex]
=1?

do these look okay?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We usually talk about the norm of a complex number, not its absolute value.

You're only missing a square root: |x+iy| = [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex], but it does not affect the answer.

The rest looks good to me.

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that takes complex numbers (numbers with both real and imaginary parts) as inputs and outputs another complex number.

2. What are the real and imaginary parts of a complex function?

The real part of a complex function is the part that contains only real numbers, while the imaginary part is the part that contains only imaginary numbers. They can be represented as a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

3. How do you find the square of a complex function?

To find the square of a complex function, you simply multiply the function by itself. For example, if f(z) = a+bi, then f(z)^2 = (a+bi)^2 = a^2-b^2+2abi.

4. What is the reciprocal of a complex function?

The reciprocal of a complex function is the function that, when multiplied by the original function, gives a result of 1. It can be found by taking the conjugate of the complex function and dividing it by the square of the magnitude of the original function.

5. How do you find the absolute value of a complex function?

The absolute value of a complex function is the distance from the origin to the point on the complex plane where the function is located. It can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of the function.