Switching Order of Indices in Summation Notation

In summary: I think the reason I was thinking that maybe we could interchange the order of the indices is because the infinite double sum is written as (a1+a2)+a3 which looks like it should be the first index, followed by (a1+a2)+a4 which looks like it should be the second index, and then (a1+a2)+a5 which looks like it should be the third index. But I was wondering if that's actually the case or if it's actually (a1+a2)+a3+a4+a5.In summary, by Fubini's theorem, we can interchange the order of the indices over which a double sum is taken.
Benny
Hi, can someone please tell me whether or not I can switch the 'order' of the indices over which a double sum is taken? To clarify, my question is whether or not the following is true.

[tex]
\sum\limits_{j = 1}^n {\sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {\left( {a_i b_j } \right)} } \mathop = \limits^? \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {\sum\limits_{j = 1}^n {\left( {a_i b_j } \right)} }
[/tex]

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, by Fubini's theorem.

Er... I mean by associativity and commutativity! (That's just a finite sum of numbers!)

Or, you could always try proving it by induction!

Well, one can simply show

a1(b1+b2) + a2(b1+b2) = (a1+a2) b1 + (a1+a2) b2

and the show it for 1,2,3 or 1,2, . . . n

Oh ok thanks for the help guys. I was just after a 'yes' or 'no' answer seeing as I assumed this property for one of the questions I was doing.

Seeing as Fubini's theorem was mentioned, is it related to my question in some way that I'm not seeing? I know that Fubini's theorem has something to do with multiple integrals which in turn has something to do with multiple sums but I don't see the connection with my question. It doesn't really matter though because I was working on a question which wasn't related to integrals, well not exactly anyway - it was a vector identity.

Thanks for the help.

There is a perspective in which a summation really is just an integral, and this interchange property could be proved with Fubini's theorem in this context.

But there's no reason you would go through such great lengths to prove such an elementary result -- I just like being silly. :smile: (And I had a teacher who liked to justify interchanging finite sums with Fubini's theorem)

Notice, by the way, that this is true for finite sums. It is not necessarily true that we can interchange infinite sums.

Oh ok, I remember googling something about double sums and there were different representations given for finite and infinite double sums.

1) What is "switching order of indices" in summation notation?

"Switching order of indices" refers to the process of rearranging the order of summation in a series. This means changing the placement of the indices (the variables that are being summed over) in the summation notation.

2) Why do we need to switch the order of indices in summation notation?

Switching the order of indices can help simplify complex summation expressions and make them easier to evaluate. It can also help uncover patterns or relationships within the series.

3) What are the rules for switching the order of indices in summation notation?

The basic rule for switching the order of indices is the commutative property, which states that the order of addition does not affect the result. However, when switching the order of indices, it is important to keep track of any changes in the limits of the summation and make sure they are adjusted accordingly.

4) Can we always switch the order of indices in summation notation?

No, the order of indices can only be switched under certain conditions. One important condition is that the series must converge absolutely, meaning that the sum of the absolute values of the terms in the series must be finite.

5) How can switching the order of indices be applied in real-world situations?

Switching the order of indices can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to simplify equations in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. In economics, it can be used to analyze trends in financial data and make predictions. Overall, switching the order of indices can help solve complex problems and make calculations more efficient.