What is Going on Inside a Tornado?

• Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tornado
In summary, a tornado is a column-shaped pocket of gas with a low mass density that is held open by centripetal force. The motion involved is similar to water going down a drain, where air warmed over land drives the air upwards. The central portion of the vortex in a tornado flows upward, while the air surrounding it remains motionless. The outside wall of the funnel cloud moves upward and there is a distinct boundary between the inside and outside of the vortex. While there is no clear understanding of all the dynamics involved, the effects of gravity and warm air are key factors in the formation of a tornado.
dimensionless
My best guess is that a tornado is a column shaped pocket of gas with a low mass density. Usually such a pocket would collapse in on itself, but in this case it is held open by centripetal force.

I'm just speculating about something I don't understand. Can anyone offer up a good explanation? What types of motion are involved? How well is all this understood?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a few sites that might be of help:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/tornado.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/basics/2003-05-05-basics-tornadoes_x.htm

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/NWSTornado/

Didn't you see Twister?? That is what a tornado looks like on the inside.

I looked at the links but I'm still not to sure what's going on. Is air from the ground effectively draining upwards into the storm cloud?

dimensionless said:
I looked at the links but I'm still not to sure what's going on. Is air from the ground effectively draining upwards into the storm cloud?
Kinda, yeah.

It's the same effect that causes water in the sink to swirl as it goes down the drain. However, whereas gravity is the engine driving the water down the drain, in the case of a tornado, it is air warmed over land that is the engine driving the air upwards.

But in a sink the airy center of the vortex has no up or down motion. It's the water around it that moves. Judging from videos it appears that in a tornado the central portion flows upward and the air surrounding it is motionless. Is it merely the outside wall of the funnel cloud that moves upward?

Also the vortex in a sink has two very distinct medias. Can one draw an analogous boundary in a tornado?

1. What causes a tornado?

A tornado is caused by a combination of warm, moist air rising rapidly and colliding with cooler, dry air. This creates a spinning effect in the atmosphere, known as wind shear, which can lead to the formation of a funnel-shaped cloud that extends from the base of a thunderstorm.

2. How strong can a tornado get?

Tornado strength is measured using the Enhanced Fujita (EF) scale, which ranges from EF0 to EF5. An EF5 tornado has wind speeds of over 200 miles per hour and can cause catastrophic damage. However, the majority of tornadoes are considered weak, with EF0 or EF1 ratings.

3. How big can a tornado be?

Tornado size can vary greatly, but the average width is around 100-200 yards. However, some tornadoes can be as narrow as a few feet or as wide as a mile. The largest tornado ever recorded was 2.6 miles wide.

4. Can a tornado happen at night?

Yes, tornadoes can occur at any time of day or night. However, they are often more difficult to see at night and can be more dangerous as people may be asleep and less likely to receive warnings.

5. How long does a tornado last?

The average lifespan of a tornado is around 10 minutes, but they can last anywhere from a few seconds to over an hour. The duration of a tornado depends on various factors such as wind shear, air temperature, and terrain.