What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,116
I'm cooking up some chicken-barley soup with root veggies (parsnip, sweet potato, carrot, turnip)... got to brace for the blizzard. I find an oversized mug of hot soup is a perfect meal in winter.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,117
nismaratwork said:
I'm cooking up some chicken-barley soup with root veggies (parsnip, sweet potato, carrot, turnip)... got to brace for the blizzard. I find an oversized mug of hot soup is a perfect meal in winter.
Sounds yummy.

• #3,118
I had spicy bean-and-bacon soup for breakfast. It didn't break up my sinus congestion, but it was worth a shot.

• #3,119
Evo said:
Sounds yummy.

Oh it is... just a simple soup made with a whole chicken instead of just the carcass. AFAIK there's verified history of this recipe going back to my great grandmother in Russia. The trick is to put in the whole chicken and let it fall apart. If you're worried about bones, just put it in cheese-cloth. You just have to be careful to let the soup chill in the fridge, then skim the fat (shmaltz?) off the top because you used a whole chicken. The fat is quite useful in other things, and I gather it can be eaten on toast.

Turbo-1: YUM. You might want to go for sweet spices rather than savory though... get some cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and just stuff it into a squash with some brown sugar and butter. Bake. Eat. The fun aldehydes and unique esters released during the preparation and consumption may help where capsaicin spice doesn't.

• #3,120
nismaratwork said:
Oh it is... just a simple soup made with a whole chicken instead of just the carcass. AFAIK there's verified history of this recipe going back to my great grandmother in Russia. The trick is to put in the whole chicken and let it fall apart. If you're worried about bones, just put it in cheese-cloth. You just have to be careful to let the soup chill in the fridge, then skim the fat (shmaltz?) off the top because you used a whole chicken. The fat is quite useful in other things, and I gather it can be eaten on toast.
That is exactly how I make my chicken soup, I put a whole chicken in.

• #3,121
I once made fish soup with swai, banana peppers, taro root, chayote squash, potatoes, carrots and chicken soup mix (without any chicken parts or ingredients) and it came out really good.

• #3,122
Evo said:
That is exactly how I make my chicken soup, I put a whole chicken in.
My wife and I make roast chicken first, then strip off the meat and boil the carcass, skin, etc to make soup stock. Strain, cool, and skim off the fat while leaving the connective-tissue gelatin and start soup from that. It's easier in winter - just lug the whole stock-pot out into the garage, cover, and leave it for a couple of hours.

When I roast chicken, I rub the skin with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and sage, then roast it breast-down so the fats migrate down into the white meat and keep the breast moist. Generally flip that sucker for the last 20 minutes or so to brown the skin on the breast. Poultry is easy, and always good. For us, chicken soup is always a two-stage affair - roast a chicken first, and get the nice roast-chicken flavors into the soup in step 2. My mother and grandmother always did it that way - hard to argue with that kind of success.

Last edited:
  • #3,123
turbo-1 said:
My wife and I make roast chicken first, then strip off the meat and boil the carcass, skin, etc to make soup stock. Strain, cool, and skim off the fat while leaving the connective-tissue gelatin and start soup from that. It's easier in winter - just lug the whole stock-pot out into the garage, cover, and leave it for a couple of hours.

When I roast chicken, I rub the skin with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and sage, then roast it breast-down so the fats migrate down into the white meat and keep the breast moist. Generally flip that sucker for the last 20 minutes or so to brown the skin on the breast. Poultry is easy, and always good. For us, chicken soup is always a two-stage affair - roast a chicken first, and get the nice roast-chicken flavors into the soup in step 2. My mother and grandmother always did it that way - hard to argue with that kind of success.

In practice when I'm out to make chicken, and not soup, that's always how a carcass ends. When I'm just going for soup however, I use the whole chicken. When making stock however, I always roast the bones (as we're meant to)... maybe I'll make my next soup with a roasted chicken instead...

HeLiXe: That sounds AWESOME.

• #3,124
I wonder why I have never used sweet potato in soups before? This has got to change.

• #3,125
hypatia said:
I wonder why I have never used sweet potato in soups before? This has got to change.

You have to put it in a little later than you would a normal potato, but I highly recommend it.

• #3,126
After all the gorging out during the last few days tonight it's plain old bubble and squeak with bangers.Scrummy yummy.:tongue:

Last edited:
  • #3,127
nismaratwork said:
HeLiXe: That sounds AWESOME.

It were :biggrin: I can't remember if I put pumpkin or not...

edit:
now i remember...no pumpkin, that was in the chicken and beef soup I made...things get hazy during the semester @_@

Last edited:
  • #3,128
Dadface said:
After all the gorging out during the last few days tonight it's plain old bubble and squeak with bangers.Scrummy yummy.:tongue:

Bubble and squeak is one of my favorite foods... sooooo good. Leeks... mmmmmm. Good sausages aren't half bad either, and it's definitely homey.

• #3,129
I cut up some flank steak in strips and covered it in Hickory BBQ sauce and Provolone cheese. It was not as good as it sounds. It was the worst idea ever...

• #3,130
Donaldson said:
I cut up some flank steak in strips and covered it in Hickory BBQ sauce and Provolone cheese. It was not as good as it sounds. It was the worst idea ever...
We learn from mistakes.

I have had many mistakes, that is why I have a dog, he eliminates the evidence.

• #3,131
Donaldson said:
Flank and Skirt steaks are best pan-seared in a very hot pre-heated cast-iron pan. Let them relax a bit in a warm oven in a protected environment for a couple of minutes (covered dish), and serve. Beef needs to be cooked in appropriate ways. Blunt-force techniques don't give great results, usually.

• #3,132
turbo-1 said:
Flank and Skirt steaks are best pan-seared in a very hot pre-heated cast-iron pan. Let them relax a bit in a warm oven in a protected environment for a couple of minutes (covered dish), and serve. Beef needs to be cooked in appropriate ways. Blunt-force techniques don't give great results, usually.

I have a hunch that things went wrong somewhere between the Hickory BBQ sauce and Provolone cheese!

• #3,133
lisab said:
I have a hunch that things went wrong somewhere between the Hickory BBQ sauce and Provolone cheese!
Both sound like recipes for disaster.

• #3,134
Evo said:
I have had many mistakes, that is why I have a dog, he eliminates the evidence.
:rofl:

• #3,135
Donaldson said:

I'm guessing it's pretty much EXACTLY as good as it sounds... about a -10 out of 10 right? Next time, my advice is to do the same thing, but use chicken. If you want to go the steak route, I'd try a splash of your favorite steak sauce, some grilled onions, and then melt the cheese on top. Steak and BBQ are just born to clash sadly.

Evo: Poor pup. :biggrin:

• #3,136
nismaratwork said:
Steak and BBQ are just born to clash sadly.

:biggrin:

Not my best moment ...

• #3,137
Donaldson said:
Not my best moment ...

Hell man, I once made scrambled eggs with so much chili powder and cayenne pepper that it was bright red. I proudly (I was very young) served it to my mother, as her breakfast-in-bed. I learned years later that they tasted like eggs, fire, and pain; the toilet ate that meal the moment I was out of the room.

We've all had bad moments, and a little BBQ sauce is nothing to fret over. Ever learn halfway through a meal of lentil soup you made for friends, that the date of one (a new girlfriend) is a vegetarian... hardcore. Yeah, well, there's no meat in my lentil soup, but the rich flavor she loved was pork fat from some fatback when it was cooking. Apparently, this is like slipping a steak into a vegetarian's salad, so I felt pretty badly about the whole thing. Long story short, at least the only victim of the 'BBQ Provolone Donaldson Steak Supreme'... was you. :wink:

• #3,138
Flank steak and skirt steak are thin and are very-well-supplied with fat. Do NOT use any butter or other fats. Heat the pan (cast-iron, please!) very hot, toss in the steak (seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper) and let it brown for about 30 seconds or so, then flip it with a pair of tongs - no fork. When you have a nice crust on the steak, you can let it "rest" for a couple of minutes in a covered dish and then serve. That's all. Nothing fancy. You can give it a bit of extra browning time if you like, but if you prefer rare or medium-rare steaks, 30 seconds a side on a very hot pan is going to be plenty.

• #3,139
There is nothing like a steak seasoned with naught but S&P.

• #3,140
DaveC426913 said:
There is nothing like a steak seasoned with naught but S&P.

I would add a fried egg... preferably one fried in a some delicious steak-fat. Yum.

• #3,141
nismaratwork said:
I would add a fried egg... preferably one fried in a some delicious steak-fat. Yum.

Wow...I just had dinner, but that sounds fantastic, nismar :approve:!

• #3,142
So who likes some spicy food? I can type up my recipe for chipotle chicken tacos if anyone is interested.

• #3,143
*is interested* I think a lot of ppl who post to this thread like spicy things...Turbo-1 even grows his own habaneros!

• #3,144
dimensional said:
So who likes some spicy food? I can type up my recipe for chipotle chicken tacos if anyone is interested.

Well this is the food thread, not the gauging interest in food thread.

• #3,145
We've been visiting Charleston, SC, and ate at the Fig restaurant. The chef is renowned; his philosophy seems to be accepting each ingredient for what it is and working with it. For example, the chicken schnitzel is just tender farm chicken breast either marinated or covered in buttermilk (we did not receive a clear answer as to which) then crumbed over. The taste is simple but not bland. Richer, peppery taste is achieved by the ingredients in the supporting dark meat and the grainy veggie mix, instead of forcing pepper and spice onto the chicken. We ended up sharing a cobb salad, baked beets (superb), the schnitzel; plus the Budino for dessert. The staff were helpful; they seemed content, even proud. All in all, it was a wholesome experience; I recommend the restaurant.

• #3,146
Worlds best spaghetti sauce recipe(might be a bit biased):

2 Green bell peppers, 2 red bell peppers, 2 yellow bell peppers, 1 sweet onion, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 capfuls vinegar, around 2 tblsp oregano, around 2 tblsp basil, around 1 tblsp black pepper, around 1/2 tblsp salt, around 1 tblsp fennel seed, 5 large cans diced tomatoes, 2 packages hot or mild or a mixture of both italian sausages.

Brown sausages in large soup pan with a little olive oil, remove from pan and set aside but leave as much grease as you can stand in the pan till later, I leave it all. Add all veggies diced and 2 of the cloves of garlic chopped to the pan. Season with about a 1/4 of the spice and cook on high heat until cooked down and the colors are very bright but veggies still have plenty of texture. Add drained diced tomatoes, rest of seasoning, the vinegar, the other two cloves of garlic cloves whole and bring to boil. Lower heat to around med and simmer for about an hour, stirring often. Cut sausages into 1/4 inch or so slices and return to sauce. Continue to simmer for another hour or two until diced tomatoes dissolve into a sauce and the excess water is evaporated, you can use a little tomato paste or starch if you don't have the time to wait, but the longer it takes the better it is, imo. If you are worried about the fat content now is the time to scoop it off the top of the sauce as it bubbles to the top, since fat is flavor I usually leave it in, unless there is ridiculous amounts. Will serve about six to eight people with big appetites. Sorry about the vague amounts but I don't measure, I should have just said season to taste with...,. The better quality the italian sausages the better the sauce will be, don't skimp there. I prefer thin spaghetti noodles instead of regular spaghetti noodles. Serve with some garlic toast and a nice glass of red wine. Enjoy.

• #3,147
dimensional said:

Not only do people here enjoy spicey food, as others have pointed out we have some spice fanatics as well as a couple of taco-grandmasters. I for one, would like to see the recipe if you'd like to share.

• #3,148
EnumaElish said:
We've been visiting Charleston, SC, and ate at the Fig restaurant. The chef is renowned; his philosophy seems to be accepting each ingredient for what it is and working with it. For example, the chicken schnitzel is just tender farm chicken breast either marinated or covered in buttermilk (we did not receive a clear answer as to which) then crumbed over. The taste is simple but not bland. Richer, peppery taste is achieved by the ingredients in the supporting dark meat and the grainy veggie mix, instead of forcing pepper and spice onto the chicken. We ended up sharing a cobb salad, baked beets (superb), the schnitzel; plus the Budino for dessert. The staff were helpful; they seemed content, even proud. All in all, it was a wholesome experience; I recommend the restaurant.

I'm in the Carolinas area not infrequently... I almost went to Fig once, but didn't get the chance in the end. Baked beets and Schweitzer though?... I'm in.

Jason: Sounds good to me! I like the browned sausages as an element... a lot. Honestly, I think I might use your sauce as the base for sandwiches too... maybe add some sauteed peppers to finish... yeah.

Thanks Jason!

• #3,149
lisab said:
Wow...I just had dinner, but that sounds fantastic, nismar :approve:!

Thank you madam, you are too kind. Those simple meals can be the best after all, and steak and eggs... whew... too good.

• #3,150
Yes, there at people here who like spicy food. Not just for the sake of heat or spice, but for the added dimension to the flavor of the end-product. I can't for the life of me figure out why people spend big bucks to buy some strong pepper-concentrate in little designer bottles when they could use law-enforcement pepper-spray instead. I love to cook with habaneros and jalapenos, etc, but if they had no flavor of their own what would be the point? Those chilies impart their own character on the food you use them in, in addition to the heat. If you can't appreciate that, better stay away from cooking spicy foods, because you'll just give spicy foods an undeserved bad reputation.

When I was a kid, our next-door neighbor made the best dynamites ever. They were very spicy elongated meatballs served on hot-dog buns and covered with a spicy tomato-based hot sauce. Heaven! She had a hot-dog stand and served burgers and fries there too, but the big draw for locals was dynamites. There is irrational "hot" and "hot" that flows from a natural progression of crafting good food that just happens to be spicy.