Toroidal Antenna Basics: How Does it Work?

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antenna
In summary, a toriodal antenna is a directional antenna that is made out of a nonmetal core and has wire windings around it that pickup/transmit at a certain frequency.
Jdo300
Hello,

This is kind of an odd-ball question. Is there a such thing as a toroidal antenna? If one were to take a toroidal core (non-metal) and wind some wire on it to pickup/transmit at a certain frequency, what would it do? My initial guess is that if it is to be a transmitter, that whatever emf it produces would be stuck inside the core. Is that true? If it were to be an antenna, would it be excited by outside radio waves or would only an internal signal source be able to excite it?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah, a toroid would probably make a lousy antenna. For transmit, the flux mainly stays within the toroid shape as you say. For reception, if the windings are evenly spaced around the full toroid, then the fields cancel out and you get very little receive signal. If you only wiond half of the toroid, however, you can get some pickup. Winding a solenoid on a ferrite rod is a common antenna configuration, for example.

This is a response to a post so old I am not sure you need the info...
Toriodal antennea are not (originally) wound on a ferrite toroid. Ferrite = UNUN = different
These things are very directional, peak at 6 to 10 db forward gain,
and as I made it, short rods of stainless steel arranged about three
quarter inch thick by 3/8 inch circles. If I take down my antenna I
will photo it for you. I can suck up signal from the local airport, this old piece of crap even works well at 70 cm. And can pass 120 watts at swr 1:3
OR - I guess this might be what used to be called a 'beam directional helical core emitter"
so - the notion of a toriodal emitter array is NOT the same as a 'antenna', toioidial works very differently as a transmitting element, I am on a different track from you

Thank you for posting an item that caught my interest. Should you feel a need to respond email ozerob@mts.net _ respond any way - I'm retired and nothing much is happening on 20 M these days - 73 -

1. What is a toroidal antenna?

A toroidal antenna is a type of antenna that is shaped like a doughnut or torus. It is usually made up of a conductive loop or wire that is bent into a circular or elliptical shape.

2. How does a toroidal antenna work?

A toroidal antenna works by generating electromagnetic waves in the form of a toroidal pattern. The antenna creates a magnetic field around its axis, and the electric field is formed along the loop or wire. This results in a three-dimensional radiation pattern that is ideal for long-range communication.

3. What are the advantages of using a toroidal antenna?

One of the main advantages of a toroidal antenna is its directional radiation pattern, which allows for increased range and reduced interference. It also has a high gain, meaning it can transmit and receive signals with greater strength and clarity. Additionally, toroidal antennas are compact and lightweight, making them ideal for use in portable devices.

4. What types of applications can toroidal antennas be used for?

Toroidal antennas are commonly used in a variety of applications, including long-range communication systems, radar systems, radio astronomy, and satellite communication. They are also suitable for use in wireless networks and mobile devices.

5. What are some common design considerations for toroidal antennas?

When designing a toroidal antenna, some important factors to consider include the shape and size of the conductive loop or wire, the frequency of operation, and the type of feed mechanism used. Additionally, the antenna's placement and surroundings can also affect its performance and should be taken into account during the design process.