Stat Mech GRE: Specific Heat of a Diatomic Molecule at High Temp

• Thread starter Euclid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, a classical model of a diatomic molecule has a springy dumbbell shape where the dumbbell is free to rotate about axes perpendicular to the spring. The specific heat per mole at constant volume is 7R/2. This site recommends using a brute force approach to solve the problem, but I believe the problem is much easier than suggested here.
Euclid
This is a GRE question.

A classical model of a diatomic molecule is a springy dumbbell, where the dumbbell is free to rotate about axes perpendicular to the spring. In the limit of high temperature. what is the specific heat per mole at constant volume?

The answer is 7R/2. This site
http://www.grephysics.net/v2006loader.php?serial=4&prob=15&yload=1
recommends to use a brute force approach to solve the problem. I believe the problem is much easier than suggested here, but since I have no experience with statistical mechanics, I would like help solving it this way.

1) How does one write down the partition function for this model? Taking into account only vibrational states, is it given by [tex] Z=\sum \limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \exp(-\beta (n+1/2)h\omega)[/tex]?

If it is, the energy <E> should be given by
[tex] <E> = -\frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial Z}{\partial \beta} = \frac{h \omega}{2} + \frac{1}{Z}\sum \limits_n^\infty n \exp(-\beta (n+1/2)h\omega)[/tex]

The specific heat should then be given by
[tex]c=\frac{\partial <E>}{\partial T} =\frac{h\omega}{kT^2}(<n E> - <E><n>)[/tex],

where I have used shorthand that is hopefully clear. Evaluating the limit T--> infty seems unpleasant.

2) Now, what if I want to solve the problem completely, by taking into account the quantization of rotational states? How do I write down the partition function in this case?

How do I take into account translational energy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I think I have (1) now. It is better to evaluate the sum first.

Use the equipartition theorem. Each degree of freedom which appears as a quadratic in the hamiltonian contributes 1/2kT to the total energy.

I only count 6 degrees of freedom (3 translational, 2 rotational and 1 vibrational) which comes to 6/2RT per mole. So maybe I`m missing one degree somewhere.

I understand that method is easier. There are actually two vibrational terms (one kinetic and one potential). That's how I get 7/2. But anyway, since I haven't studied statistical mechanics, I thought it would be helpful to go through this problem the hard way. I have a feeling my question is ill-phrased, so feel free to answer a related question that seems more appropriate.

1. What is the specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures?

The specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures is typically calculated using statistical mechanics, a branch of physics that studies the behavior of large systems of particles. It takes into account the various energy levels and transitions of the molecule, as well as its interactions with other molecules in the system.

2. How is the specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures related to its internal energy?

The specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures is directly proportional to its internal energy. This means that as the temperature increases, the specific heat also increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of studying the specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures?

Studying the specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures can provide valuable insights into the thermodynamic properties and behavior of the molecule. It can also help in understanding its role in various physical and chemical processes, such as combustion and energy transfer.

4. How does the specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures differ from that at low temperatures?

The specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures is typically higher than at low temperatures. This is because at high temperatures, there is more energy available for the molecule to absorb, resulting in a higher specific heat.

5. Can the specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures vary depending on the type of molecule?

Yes, the specific heat of a diatomic molecule at high temperatures can vary depending on the type of molecule. This is because different molecules have different energy levels and interactions, which can affect their specific heat values at high temperatures.