Distance measurement with laser

In summary, using a laser to measure distance is possible with an inexpensive consumer laser and a PIC microprocessor. There are multiple methods to measure distance, including timing pulses, triangulation, and interferometry.
Cliff_J
Science Advisor
How would go about measuring distance with a laser?

I'd like to construct a zero-contact method of measuring distance much like the commercial units designed to allow digitizing of a model as a retrofit on a 3-axis CNC. My understanding is that they position the X-Y and then determine the Z for each point. I figure with an inexpensive consumer laser and something like a PIC microprocessor I might construct a low-budget form of this.

I remember a physics lab where we measured the velocity of a moving sled using a laser, IIRC we just measured the doppler so no help in this application. So a pulse of the laser and determining the time to return much like SONAR seems plausible.

Am I in way over my head?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff

Science news on Phys.org
There is some usefull info at this site ; enough to verify that you seem to be on the right track. Commercially available laser range finders appear to use a highspeed clock to measure the return time of the signal. Unfortunately, it also states that this amazing technology will give you readings accurate to within "plus or minus two yards/meters", is that accurate enough for your needs?

If not, you may want to look at some form of triangulation or even interferometry to make finer measurements.

The laser distance sensors I have dealt with use trig, there is a slight angle on the transmitted beam, the sensor is able to register the location of the reflected beam, this information is sufficient to compute the distance quite accurately.

I do not think timing pulses would work for the short distances involved in a CNC mill.

http://www.keyence.com/products/measuring/lc/lc.html?links=10:M:T this site for more information. These sensors will generally have a long range low accuracy mode or a short range high accuracy mode. Of course longer range higher accuracy means more $$.

Given the right sensors it would indeed be possible to build your own, not sure if you would be able to match the quality and features of the commercial models. They have a significant amount of electronics on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks for the responses.

I looked up interferometry and sure enough I'd done that in a physics lab as well, kinda need a mirror on a stable plane to get that to work, a bit tough for reverse engineering. But it would definitely be precise...

That Keyence site has an excellent technical document in PDF that explains their use of inductive eddy currents sensors, laser triangulation with a CCD, and what they call 'confocal' with a half mirror and a focusing lens to sense the reflected focused spot. I like the last one, requires the least amount of circuitry and maybe I can find some old surplus lenses I can acutate with a stepper motor and make work. Hmmmm

Great ideas and links guys. Nice to find this forum.

Oh, and other ideas welcome as well!
Cliff

What is distance measurement with laser?

Distance measurement with laser is a method used to accurately determine the distance between two points using laser technology. It involves emitting a laser beam from one point and measuring the time it takes for the beam to reflect off the target and return to the source. By knowing the speed of light and the time it takes for the beam to travel, the distance can be calculated.

How accurate is distance measurement with laser?

Distance measurement with laser is highly accurate, with the ability to measure distances down to the millimeter level. The accuracy depends on factors such as the quality of the laser, the distance being measured, and environmental conditions. However, with advanced technology and calibration methods, error margins can be minimized.

What are the advantages of using laser for distance measurement?

Using laser for distance measurement has several advantages. It is non-contact, meaning there is no need to physically touch the target, making it ideal for measuring objects that are difficult to reach or hazardous. It is also highly accurate, fast, and can measure long distances. Additionally, laser technology is now more affordable and accessible.

What are the applications of distance measurement with laser?

Distance measurement with laser has a wide range of applications in various industries. It is commonly used in construction and engineering for surveying and measuring distances between buildings and structures. It is also used in manufacturing for quality control and precision measurements. Other applications include robotics, navigation, and aerospace.

What are the potential limitations of distance measurement with laser?

While distance measurement with laser is highly accurate, there are some limitations to consider. Environmental factors such as dust, fog, or bright sunlight can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, reflective surfaces or objects that absorb or scatter light can also impact the results. It is important to consider these factors and use appropriate techniques and equipment for accurate measurements.