Finding average force with out taking mass into account

In summary, the conversation discusses the work done on a .045kg ball that takes off at 41m/s after being hit. The question also asks for the average force applied to the ball, taking into account the fact that the force of the club is parallel to the motion of the ball and in contact for .010m. The solution involves using the formula F=mv and factoring in the distance moved in the direction of the force.
xrotaryguy
If a .045kg ball takes off at 41m/s after being hit,

a.) How much work is done on the ball?

golfballwork.gif

b.) Assume that the force of the club acts parallel to the motion of the ball, and that the club is in contact with the ball for .010m. Ignore the mass of the ball and find the average force applied to the ball.

I don't know how to do this. I want to take the mass of the ball into account with the F=mv formula. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question wants you to make use of the fact that the work done by a constant force is the product of that force and the distance moved in the direction of that force.

Excellent! That was exactly what I needed. Thanks!

1. What is the formula for finding average force without taking mass into account?

The formula for finding average force without taking mass into account is F = ma, where F represents the force, m represents the mass, and a represents the acceleration.

2. How do you calculate average force without knowing the mass?

To calculate average force without knowing the mass, you can use the formula F = ma, where a is the acceleration. This means that if you have the acceleration and force values, you can determine the average force without needing the mass.

3. Can the average force value change if the mass is not considered?

Yes, the average force value can change if the mass is not considered. This is because mass directly affects the acceleration of an object, so without taking it into account, the average force calculation may not accurately reflect the true force acting on the object.

4. Is it possible to find the average force without taking mass into account?

Yes, it is possible to find the average force without taking mass into account. However, this may not give an accurate representation of the actual force acting on an object, as the mass plays a crucial role in determining the acceleration and force.

5. What are some real-life examples of finding average force without considering mass?

Some real-life examples of finding average force without considering mass include calculating the average force of a car crash, determining the average force exerted by a person while jumping, or finding the average force of a punch.