Every rotational motion have torque?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque in rotational motion and its relationship with forces and acceleration. It also presents a problem involving a flywheel and calculates the required tangential force to brake it. The final discussion clarifies the role of torque in this problem and how to determine the sum of torques in rotational motion.
MechaMZ
Every rotational motion have torque? Pls come and take a look..

Are torque exsiting at every rotational motion?
how about free fall or wheel rotating without any force act on it??

Question:
A 0.8m diameter, 50kg flywheel with a radius of gyration of 0.283m must be braked from 60 rpm to rest in 2s. calculate the tangential force required to accomplish this braking action.

angular acceralation = -3.142rad/s sq
I = 4.004kgm sq

torque equation on ratational motion of the flywheel is :

Torque - ( T x 0.4m ) = I x (angular acceleration) < T is tangential force >
0 - ( T x 0.4 ) = 4.004 ( -3.142 )
-0.4T = -12.58
T = 31.4 N

why the torque here is equal to zero??

anyone can help and explain...
ur reply is greatly appreciated... thankzzz:blushing:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Clearly, if there are no forces, there are no torques. What this solution is saying to you is that the sum of the torques is equal to zero.

MechaMZ said:
torque equation on ratational motion of the flywheel is :

Torque - ( T x 0.4m ) = I x (angular acceleration) < T is tangential force >
0 - ( T x 0.4 ) = 4.004 ( -3.142 )
-0.4T = -12.58
T = 31.4 N

why the torque here is equal to zero??
The torque is not zero. That equation should be: (net)Torque = I x (angular acceleration). Presumably, the only force producing a torque on the flywheel is the applied tangential force. Thus: net torque = T x 0.4m (using your notation).

russ_watters said:
Clearly, if there are no forces, there are no torques. What this solution is saying to you is that the sum of the torques is equal to zero.

sorry, one more question..:blushing:

when/how i know the sum of the torque is equal to zero in the rotational motion?

MechaMZ said:
when/how i know the sum of the torque is equal to zero in the rotational motion?
Just to be clear: In this problem the sum of the torques is not zero. (If it were, the angular acceleration would be zero.)

sum of torque = I x (angular acceleration)

torque1 - torque2 = I x (angular acceleration)

resolved the torque into 2 direction, anti clock'wise or clock'wise.
direction of acceleration is assumed as positive.

torque1 is zero, because no force in this direction.
torque2 is negative sign, because it is opposite direction with acceleration

0 - (tangential force x 0.4) = (4.004)(-3.142)
- (tangential force x 0.4) = -12.580
tangential force = 31.45 N

the sum of torque is negative sign, -12.580Nm. This means there is a resultant torque with anti clock'wise direction. And it is torque2.

pls leave ur comments abt my solution, i will kindly accept, thankz

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    76.5 KB · Views: 519
however, i found tht torque1 actually is not exsiting. torque2 is negative just because it's direction is opposite with the angular acceleration force : )

Doc Al said:
Just to be clear: In this problem the sum of the torques is not zero. (If it were, the angular acceleration would be zero.)
Sorry about that - the question in the first two sentences is different from what the problem was asking and I didn't look at the problem... :redface:

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically represented by the Greek letter tau (τ) and is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion because it is the force that causes an object to rotate. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate, and the smaller the torque, the slower the object will rotate.

What factors affect the torque of a rotating object?

The torque of a rotating object is affected by two main factors: the magnitude of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. The larger the force and the greater the distance from the axis of rotation, the greater the torque will be.

Can torque be both positive and negative?

Yes, torque can be both positive and negative. A positive torque causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while a negative torque causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction.

How is torque different from force?

Torque and force are different because force is a linear quantity that causes an object to move in a straight line, while torque is a rotational quantity that causes an object to rotate around an axis. Force is measured in Newtons (N), while torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm).