Can metal kationts be liquid, like Mn+7 in red?

• Thread starter de Ran-Guilbert
  • Start date
Is there a mistake and it should be Mn+2 ?In summary, the conversation is about a website with information on transition metals and their cations, specifically the Manganese cation. The person is confused about the label for Mn+7 and whether it is possible for it to exist as a liquid. The expert clarifies that the Mn+7 is from a salt dissolved in water and that there must also be a counterion present, making it impossible for a liquid of only Mn+7 to exist. The person thanks the expert and asks for clarification on the label, to which the expert responds that it may be a mistake and should be Mn+2 instead.
de Ran-Guilbert
Hi all,

I have a small question. I have checked it: http://neon.chem.ox.ac.uk/vrchemistry/LiveChem/transitionmetals_content.html [Broken]

and I am very confusing. There is some kationts of metal and these are liquid !
For example mangan kationt : Mn+7 is red liquid. Is it possible ?

PS:I am sorry for my englisch, its not good !

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you are referring to cations. The ions you are looking at are actually compounds that are dissolved in water. The Mn + 7 comes from a salt (i.e. Mn(2)O(7)) being dissolved in water. The Mn+7 is what give it the charactersitic red color, but there is a counterion also in the liquid. It is not possible to have a liquid of only Mn+7 as the charge of each ion would repel each other ion.

thanks

Thank you for your answer.
I was only confused about label Mn+7.

1. What are kationts?

Kationts are positively charged ions that are formed when an atom loses one or more electrons. They are typically metals and are attracted to negatively charged anions.

2. How are kationts different from anions?

Kationts and anions are two types of ions that have opposite charges. Kationts have a positive charge, while anions have a negative charge. This difference is due to the number of electrons each type of ion has.

3. What are some examples of kationts?

Some examples of kationts include sodium (Na+), calcium (Ca2+), and iron (Fe3+). These ions are commonly found in compounds such as salt (NaCl), calcium carbonate (CaCO3), and iron oxide (Fe2O3).

4. How do kationts play a role in chemical reactions?

Kationts play a crucial role in chemical reactions by balancing out the charges of the reactants and products. They can also form ionic bonds with anions to create stable compounds.

5. Can kationts exist on their own?

No, kationts cannot exist on their own in nature. They are always found in combination with anions to form neutral compounds. In a vacuum or in a gas state, kationts can exist temporarily, but they will always seek to bond with anions to become stable.