Lifting Wood Without a Cam: Is This Idea Any Good?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanism needed to lift a plank of wood around a pivot. The speaker suggests using a cam above the wood, but is unsure if this idea has been used before. They also mention the possibility of suspending the plank from the cam follower. Another person suggests attaching the follower arm to the outer portion of the cam instead of using a spring.
david18
Hi, I am creating a mechanism that needs to be able to lift a plank of wood up and down arpund a pivot. However, there isn't enough space below the wood to enable me to place a cam. So i thought I might be able to place a cam above the wood - although this would mean the follower would have no gravity to keep in contact with the cam, if I placed a spring under the wood it should spring back up.

I'd like to know if this idea is any good and if its been used before, or if there are any mechanisms that would make much more sense in this case.

Attachments

• camidea.jpg
    camidea.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like it could work, but you could also make the contact point on the top surface of the cam, and suspend the plank from the cam follower.

Do you have to use a follower arrangement? Why not simply attach the follower arm to the outer portion of the cam and forget about the spring?

1. Can wood be lifted without a cam?

Yes, it is possible to lift wood without a cam. However, the effectiveness of this method depends on the weight and size of the wood, as well as the strength of the lifting mechanism.

2. How does lifting wood without a cam work?

Lifting wood without a cam typically involves using a lifting mechanism, such as a crane or forklift, to grip and lift the wood from multiple points rather than using a single point of contact like a cam. This distributes the weight more evenly and allows for a more stable lift.

3. Is this idea of lifting wood without a cam practical?

In some cases, lifting wood without a cam may be a more practical solution than using a cam, especially if the wood is irregularly shaped or too heavy for a cam to lift. However, it is important to carefully consider the specific circumstances and safety precautions before using this method.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to lifting wood without a cam?

One potential risk of lifting wood without a cam is that the wood may shift or become unbalanced during the lift, which could cause accidents or damage to the wood or surrounding structures. It is also important to consider the strength and stability of the lifting mechanism being used.

5. Are there any advantages to lifting wood without a cam?

Yes, there are a few potential advantages to lifting wood without a cam. This method may be more versatile and able to lift a wider range of wood sizes and shapes. It may also be a more cost-effective solution in some cases, as it does not require the use of a specialized cam. However, it is important to carefully assess the specific situation and risks before deciding on the best method for lifting wood.