Need opinions on my Differential Eqations textbook

In summary: You might want to check out the first three chapters of Differential Equations with Applications, by Herbert E. Keil and James S. Coleman. It goes into more depth and has more applications.In summary, this student does not seem to be getting a lot out of his differential equations class. He has tried different textbooks, but he does not seem to be learning anything new. He seems to be struggling with the material, and he has tried asking for help from classmates, but he does not seem to be getting the help he needs. He might want to try a different textbook, or maybe take a different course.
Mathgician
I was wondering what you guys think of my textbook.
My textbook is called:

A First Course in Differential Eqations (Eight Edition)

Author: Dennis G. Zill

ISBN: 0534418783

I have been using this book for my DE class, and I do not feel like I am really learning anything. This class is very different from my other math classes, I learn methods that I am not getting a solid explanations for. Most people I've gone for help that has taken this class before have forgotten most of the materials that has been tought in this class. I want to get the most out of my DE class, is there another book you guys suggest that will help me understand DE and not forget it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i liked martin braun, and guterman and nitecki, and v. arnol'd, and the great classic by harry pollack.

there is a textbook recommendation thread here by the way.

Also, another question, is the first differential equations course just a beginning course that does not go indepth? I just don't feel like I am learning anything or in other words getting any insights. Tell me your experience people.

Mathgician said:
I have been using this book for my DE class, and I do not feel like I am really learning anything.
I can relate to that, and I suggest you take a peek at V. Arnol'd's book.

But I can't relate to

Mathgician said:
I learn methods that I am not getting a solid explanations for.

We used the book by Boyce and DiPrima when I took the class. Maybe it will help you fix that problem.

Yeah -- I like (second) Boyce and DiPrima as a first text.

My class uses Blanchard, Devaney, and Hall. It has been one of the easiest math classes I've ever taken. I don't know if this text is as advanced as texts other colleges might use, but apparently our professor taught this same course at a more pretigious university and my class is owning that class.

B, D and H is easy because they do not prove anything as i recall.

1. What is the overall structure and organization of the textbook?

The textbook is organized into chapters that cover different topics in differential equations, with each chapter building upon the previous ones. The chapters are further divided into sections that focus on specific concepts and include examples, exercises, and practice problems.

2. What level of difficulty is the textbook geared towards?

The textbook is designed for undergraduate students who have a basic understanding of calculus. It covers both introductory and intermediate level topics in differential equations, making it suitable for students at various levels of mathematical background.

3. Does the textbook provide real-world applications of differential equations?

Yes, the textbook includes numerous real-world examples and applications to help students understand the practical significance of differential equations. These examples range from physics and engineering to biology and economics.

4. Is the textbook accompanied by any online resources or supplemental materials?

Yes, the textbook comes with online resources such as interactive simulations, video lectures, and additional practice problems. These resources can be accessed through a companion website or through a code provided with the textbook.

5. How does this textbook compare to other textbooks on differential equations?

This textbook is known for its clear and concise explanations, extensive examples, and varied problems for practice. It also includes a good balance of theory and applications, making it a popular choice among students and instructors. However, it is always recommended to compare different textbooks and choose the one that best fits your learning style and needs.