Solve Unknown Wavelength from Diffraction Grating Homework

In summary, a grating with 3000 lines per cm is used to disperse green light (500nm) and an unknown light on a screen 2 m away. The linear separation between the green and unknown light in the second order is 10 cm. Using the equations dsin(\Theta) = m\lambda and y = m*\lambda*L/d, the wavelength of the unknown light can be found by first finding the y value for the green light and then adding 0.1 m to that value to get the spread for the other color. It is important to note that the question does not specify whether to use y + 0.1 m or y - 0.1 m, so both options should be
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

A grating with 3000 lines per cm is used to disperse green light (500nm) and another light of unknown wavelength on a screen 2 m from the grating. The linear separation between the green and unknown light on the screen in the second order is found to be 10 cm. Find the wavelength of the unknown light.

Homework Equations

[tex]dsin(\Theta) = m\lambda[/tex]
[tex]y = m*\lambda*L/d[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

L = 2 m
d = 1/300,000 m
y = .1 m
I don't know what the answer is but all I can get is 83 nm by doing this:
.1 m * 300,000 m / 2m / 2 = [tex]\lambda[/tex]

I am guessing it's wrong because it's not visible light. Does anyone know if I did anything wrong? I'm not sure if I need to do something with the given 500 nm.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to make use of the 500 nm. Try finding y for the 500 nm wavelength. You know that y for the unknown wavelength is 10 cm away from y for the 500 nm.

two step problem
Get y for the green first,using the 500
then add the y + 0.1 meter to get the spread for the other color
Although from the question, I could not tell if you use y +.1 or y-.1
Then solve for wavelength of other color

Maybe one of them gives a bad answer.

I was taking it to mean y for the unknown wavelength was further away from the centre, but the question is a little vague.

1. How do I determine the unknown wavelength from a diffraction grating homework problem?

The formula for determining the unknown wavelength from a diffraction grating is λ = d⋅sinθ, where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the slits on the grating, and θ is the angle of diffraction. First, measure the distance between the slits on the grating, then measure the angle of diffraction. Plug these values into the formula to solve for the unknown wavelength.

2. What is the significance of diffraction gratings in determining wavelength?

Diffraction gratings are important because they allow us to precisely measure the wavelength of light. The interference pattern created by the grating allows us to determine the angle of diffraction, which can then be used to calculate the wavelength using the formula λ = d⋅sinθ.

3. What is the difference between a diffraction grating and a prism in determining wavelength?

A diffraction grating and a prism both use the principle of diffraction to determine the wavelength of light. However, a diffraction grating has many slits, whereas a prism only has one surface. This means that a diffraction grating can produce a more accurate measurement of the wavelength of light.

4. Can I use a diffraction grating to determine the wavelength of any type of light?

Yes, a diffraction grating can be used to determine the wavelength of any type of light, including visible light, ultraviolet light, and infrared light. However, the spacing between the slits on the grating may need to be adjusted for different wavelengths in order to obtain accurate measurements.

5. Are there any limitations to using a diffraction grating to determine wavelength?

One limitation of using a diffraction grating is that it can only be used to measure the wavelength of light that is within the visible spectrum. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by factors such as the quality of the grating and the precision of the measurements taken.