Is There a Method for Integrating Sinx/x Between 0 and Infinity?

• Thread starter heidernetk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem of integrating sinx/x between (0, infinity) does not have an elementary primitive function. It can be approximated numerically using a program like Matlab, with a result of around 1.571. However, there are more advanced methods for solving this integral, such as using contour integration and the residue theorem. Another possibility is using complex analysis or Fourier analysis. Trying to solve it using integration by parts would not be effective.
heidernetk
Can you help me by giving me a method or solution

integrating sinx/x between (0,infinty)

please help me

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sinx/x does not have the elementary primitive function. You can calculate it numerically by a program. I used Matlab and calculated it as :1.571

pixel01 said:
sinx/x does not have the elementary primitive function. You can calculate it numerically by a program. I used Matlab and calculated it as :1.571
That's an approximation to [itex]\pi / 2[/itex]. Actually, the result
[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin x}{x} \: dx = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
is somewhat well-known. It can be proved using complex analysis or Fourier analysis. heidernetk, do you have experience with either?

(I also seem to recall seeing another way of doing this that doesn't use complex/Fourier analysis, but I can't remember how the argument went.)

Using contour integration you can solve this. The trick is to use

[tex]\int\frac{e^{iz}}{z} \: dz [/tex] and find the imaginary part. This can be done using residue theory. However, I took that course long ago and don't know all the steps.

Last edited:
If i recall you can take the integral over a quarter circle with a radius of R in the complex plane and Quadrant I. Then look at the over all path compared to the path partitioned into linear components an the circular component as R tends to infinity.

pixel01 said:
There wouldn't be much point in asking the question for a maths homework/question sheet if the answer was "Done by computer". For integrals such as sinx/x, particularly when the limits involve infinity, complex analysis is often the way to go.
robert Ihnot said:
However, I took that course long ago and don't know all the steps.
For the benefit of the original poster mostly :

1. Make the contour the semicircle through the upper half plane but with a slight bump around the origin due to singularity (due to cos part of e^iz)
2. Split the contour into 4 parts, from epsilon to R along the Real axis, the semicircle arc of radius R round to -R on the Real axis, from -R to -epsilon and then a semicircle from -epsilon to +epsilon. Doesn't matter which side of the origin that little contour goes, the orientated nature of the path sorts out the signs and residue contributions.
3. Use the residue theorem to relate this contour integral to the sum of residues within the contour.
4. Take R->infinity and use Jordan's Lemma to justify it giving zero contribution. By the fact the imaginary part of e^iz/z is even, you end up having the integrals from -infinity to -epsilon being equal to +epsilon to +infinity.
5. Thus means you just have to compute the little contour and the residue at zero. Stick it in the equation due to the Residue Theorem, rearrange and all going well and a following wind, you should get the answer.

On the scale of things, one of the much nicer contour integrals one ever does. I used to freakin' hate ones involving branch cuts from say -1 to +1.

Is there any way to solve this using integration by parts.

No there isn't and this is really pointless but the anti derivative is defined to be the non elementary Si(x) function.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the total accumulated value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why do we use integrals?

Integrals are used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics, to name a few. They allow us to find important quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and work, among others. They also help us solve complex problems and make predictions about real-world phenomena.

3. How do you solve an integral?

There are several techniques for solving integrals, depending on the type of function and the desired outcome. The most common methods include using basic integration rules, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to have a good understanding of calculus and practice solving different types of integrals to become proficient in solving them.

4. Can you give an example of an integral?

One example of an integral is finding the area under a curve. For instance, if we have a function f(x) = x^2 and we want to find the area under the curve between x = 0 and x = 2, we can use integration to solve it. The resulting integral would be ∫f(x) = x^2 dx = 8/3.

5. Why is it important to understand integrals in science?

Integrals are essential in science because they allow us to analyze and understand various natural phenomena. Many physical laws and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, can be expressed and understood through integrals. They also help us make accurate predictions and solve complex problems in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.