Determine the magnitude of the force exerted on the block

In summary, the two blocks move to the right across a frictionless surface because the block with mass 5.7kg experiences a force of 32.884 N to the right, while the block with mass 2.1kg experiences a force of 5.769m/s^2 to the right.
EG78362

Homework Statement

Given: The surface is frictionless, two blocks in contact with each other move to the right across a horizontal surface.
Note: one block is 2.1kg with a 58N force applied to it, and the other block is 5.7kg with a 13N force applied to it.

Homework Equations

Determine the magnitude of the force exerted on the block with mass 2.1kg by the block with mass 5.7 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

First I subtracted 58N-13N=45 to get the net force, then I divided the net force by the mass of both blocks [45N/7.8kg]=5.769m/s^2 to get acceleration.
Then I multiplied the acceleration by the 2.1kg block to get 12.115N, but this was not the right answer. So thinking that I maybe did it wrong I multiplied the acceleration by the 5.7kg block (32.884N)and this was also incorrect, finally not knowing what I was doing wrong still, I subtracted 32.884-12.115 and of course this was wrong as well. I can't figure out what I'm missing here. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assumption I'm going to make: 2.1 kg block is on the left, pushed on with force 58 N from the left side, in the right direction. 5.7 kg block is on the right, pushed on with force 13 N from the right side, in the left direction.

Envisioning a FBD for the first block, if it's only moving with the acceleration you calculated to the right, then the net force on it must be 12.115 N (assuming you calculated that right) to the right, which means that there must be a force of magnitude 58 N - 12.115 N on it to the left, counteracting the 58 N force to the right partially. So, is 45.885 N the correct answer?

Okay, I was thinking I had to subtract from the net force. Thank you so much, I got it right this time.

EG78362 said:
Okay, I was thinking I had to subtract from the net force. Thank you so much, I got it right this time.

No problem! :smile: Always draw a free body diagram to check your thinking.

1. What is the definition of magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force is the numerical value or amount of force exerted on an object in a specific direction. It is a measure of the strength of the force and is typically expressed in units of Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's second law of motion: F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force can be affected by several factors, including the mass and acceleration of the object, as well as the direction and type of force being exerted. The distance between the object and the source of the force can also impact its magnitude.

4. How is the magnitude of force measured in a lab setting?

In a lab setting, the magnitude of force can be measured using a force sensor or a force meter. These instruments can provide an accurate reading of the force being exerted on an object in a specific direction. The units of measurement will depend on the instrument being used.

5. Why is it important to determine the magnitude of force?

Determining the magnitude of force is important because it allows scientists to understand the effects of forces on objects and to make predictions about their behavior. It is also essential in engineering and designing structures, as well as in developing safety measures to prevent accidents caused by excessive forces.