Differentiating Complex Functions with Respect to x

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a given equation with respect to x. The equation is dy = 3x^2 - 5√x + 1/2x^2. The process of differentiating is explained and the last term is clarified to be 1/2x^2. It is then simplified to (1/2)(x^-2), not (1/4)(x^-2). The person in the conversation thanks for the help and indicates understanding.
Air
Differentiate with respect to x

dy = 3x^2 - 5√x + 1/2x^2
dx

I don't understand how to differentiate this part: 5√x + 1/2x^2. I think changing it to indices form would be: x^1/5 + (2x)^-2?

How can it be worked out? :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]5\sqrt{x}[/tex] is not [tex](x)^{\frac{1}{5}}[/tex]. It is five times [tex](x)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex].

The last term is a bit ambiguous, the way you've typed it. Is it [tex]\frac{1}{2}x^2[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{2x^2}[/tex]? Anyway, neither cannot be simplified to (2x)^-2.

neutrino said:
[tex]5\sqrt{x}[/tex] is not [tex](x)^{\frac{1}{5}}[/tex]. It is five times [tex](x)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex].

That makes more sense. :biggrin:

neutrino said:
The last term is a bit ambiguous, the way you've typed it. Is it [tex]\frac{1}{2}x^2[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{2x^2}[/tex]? Anyway, neither cannot be simplified to (2x)^-2.

It's [tex]\frac{1}{2x^2}[/tex]

Anived said:
It's [tex]\frac{1}{2x^2}[/tex]

It's then (1/2)(x^-2). (2x)^-2 would be (1/4)(x^-2).

neutrino said:
It's then (1/2)(x^-2). (2x)^-2 would be (1/4)(x^-2).

Ok. I understand. Thanks for the help. :biggrin:

1. What is differentiation in math?

Differentiation in math is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. It involves finding the derivative of a function, which gives us the slope of the function at any given point.

2. Why is differentiation important in math?

Differentiation is important in math because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It helps us find maximum and minimum values, determine the slope of a curve, and solve optimization problems. It is also used in many real-world applications such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, we use a set of rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help us find the derivative of a function step by step. It is important to have a good understanding of algebra and basic functions before attempting to differentiate more complex functions.

4. Can differentiation be used for all types of functions?

Yes, differentiation can be used for all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and more. However, in some cases, the process may be more complex and require the use of multiple rules.

5. How can I check if my differentiation is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your differentiation is correct. One way is to use an online calculator or software that can find derivatives. You can also check your work by differentiating the function multiple times and seeing if you get the same result. Another way is to graph both the original function and its derivative and see if they match up.