Whats the use of this?

• Thread starter mubashirmansoor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the uses of a specific function definition, f(x) = 3*f(x-1) - 3*f(x-2) + f(x-3), which works for linear and quadratic functions. The derivation of this equation is explained through different techniques and its usefulness is demonstrated in solving problems such as projectile motion and quickly estimating functions. The conversation also touches on the idea of finding recurrence relations for a desired sequence of functions.
mubashirmansoor
Hello everybody,

I wanted to know the uses of such a function definition;

f(x) = 3*f(x-1) - 3*f(x-2) + f(x-3) This works in linear and quadratic functions.

I'll thankfull for your replies :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In what way does that 'work in linear and quadratic functions'?

matt grime said:
In what way does that 'work in linear and quadratic functions'?

As an example; say x^2 & assuming x = 4

f(4) = 3*f(3) - 3*f(2) + f(1) which is true: 16 = 3*9 - 3*4 +1

this is what I meant...

Do you know any interesting uses of such a thing?
Thanks for contributing :)

Let me explain how you can derive an equation like that one and why it works.

Say you started with a very simple linear recurrence relation,

1. f(x) = f(x-1) : This works for f(x) = 1.

Now let's look for one that works for f(x) = x and also for f(x) = 1.

Say f(x) = c f(x-1) + d f(x-2). Subst f(x)=1 and you find that "c+d=1". Next subst f(x)=x and you find that in addition to "c+d=1" we must also have "c + 2d = 0". Solving these give c=2 and d=-1. So our second recurance relation is,

2. f(x) = 2 f(x-1) - f(x-2) : This works with f(x) = 1 and with f(x) = x

Similar working with three simultaneous equations you can find the coefficients of a third order linear equation that works for f(x)=1 and for f(x)=x and for f(x)=x^2. This one turns out to be the one that you started this thread with. That is,

3. f(x) = 3f(x-1) - 3f(x-2) + f(x-3) : This works with f(x)=1 and with f(x)=x and with f(x)=x^2

Note that these are all linear mappings of the form, f(x) = L{ f(x-1), f(x-2), ...}

It is important to realize that these are all linear in "f", whether or not f is linear in x is irrelevant to this point.

By linearity L{ a f_1 + b f_2 + ... } = a L{f_1} + b L{f_2} + ...

So you can see for example that since the second relation above "works" for f_1(x)=1 and f_2(x)=x then it automatically must work for all linear functions f(x) = ax+b.

For the same reason the third relation must hold for all quadratic funtions and so on.

Last edited:
uart said:
Let me explain how you can derive an equation like that one and why it works.

Thankyou very much Uart, but I think I don't have enough knowledge of mathematics to understand this derivation but I'll certainly keep it in a safe place and check it out once I've learned more maths... Thanks once again :)

Actually I have derived this one by myself but using a very different technique which is given as follows;

lets say we have 3 consecutive terms; f(5), f(4) & f(3) .

f(5) - f(4) = rate of increase between these terms.

f(4) - f(3) = rate of increase between these terms, which is sth like first derivative.

Now ; f(5) - f(4) - ( f(4) - f(3) ) = rate of increase between the rates of increase which is sth like 2nd derivative.

2nd derivative of quadratic and linear functions is always constant, using this fact and a little logic we'll have;

f(5) - f(4) - ( f(4) - f(3) ) + ( f(5) - f(4) ) + f(5) = f(6)

which means; f(6) = 3*f(5) - 3*f(4) + f(3)

----------

Thats what I did...

So what are the uses of such function definitions?

One use of this was solving projectile motion without being concerned about the equation of motion & having quick estimates for many functions without trying to evaluate the function's eq. especially when concerned with an irregular function.

I'll be eagerly waiting for your reply :)
Thanks once again.

Last edited:
So the essentials of this method uart is doing is to think up of a recurrence relation and find let certain functions you want the recurrence relation to work with, to find out the exact recurrence relation? Relating the functions

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to test a hypothesis or answer a research question through a systematic approach.

How will this research benefit society?

This research could potentially lead to a better understanding of a particular phenomenon or advance our knowledge in a certain field, which could ultimately benefit society in various ways.

Why is this study important?

This study is important because it could potentially contribute to the existing body of knowledge, fill a gap in current research, or provide practical applications for real-world problems.

What are the possible outcomes of this experiment?

The possible outcomes of this experiment could include supporting or rejecting the hypothesis, identifying new research questions, or providing new insights and understanding of the topic being studied.

Who will benefit from the results of this research?

The results of this research could benefit other scientists in the same field, industries related to the topic being studied, policymakers, and the general public who may be impacted by the findings.