What is the value of this infinite product?

In summary, the value of the given infinite product is approximately 0.4134966715663, which is the reciprocal of 2/3*Gamma(1/3)*Gamma(2/3). This can also be written as (3/4)*sqrt(3)*PI.
quddusaliquddus
work out the value of the following: :redface:

1/2*sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*(1/2)]sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*(1/2)]]...

Any help is appreciated. :confused: :smile:

Thnak you. :biggrin:

what mite b of interest :rolleyes: is the fact that it looks similar to the bottom of Viete's famous formula for pi (employing for the first time an infinite product):

[ i derived the following from cos(theta/2^1)*cos(theta/2^2)*cos(theta/2^3)...cos(theta/2^n) ]

pi=2/[sqrt[1/2]*sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2]]sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2]]]...]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}}}\cdots[/tex]

How exactly does that continue? I can think of a few ways.

cookiemonster

how it contains

i know how it continues...but i need to calculate the infinite product.

But we don't know how it continues so we can't help you.

oh right! sorry...i misunderstood the intention of the commentator. I am assuming it continues from what i wrote with it being multiplied by:

(*) sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*(1/2)]]]

to get the next part, you take what I've written here(*), multiply it by 1/2, add 1/2 to what you now have, then square root what you have now, then multiply it to the product.

You follow the same procedure for the next part. Take what you last added, multiply by half, add half to this, then square root what you've then got.

So do you mean:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac {1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}}}\cdots }[/tex]

As apposed to:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac {1}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdots}}[/tex] ?

In which case is it not:

[tex]x = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac {1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}}}\cdots }[/tex]

[tex]2x = \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac {1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdots }}}[/tex]

[tex] 4x^2 = \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac {1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdots}} [/tex]

[tex] 4x^2 - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac {1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdots}}[/tex]

[tex] 8x^2 - 1 = x [/tex]

Baring in mind that one of the answers for x will have been created when squaring it. (Or something to that effect I've never done anything like this before)

how i wish it was, but its not.sorry. its the second one.

It looks like the terms are given by

[tex]
x_n = \left\{
\begin{array}{cl}
\frac{1}{2} & n = 0 \\
\sqrt{ \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} x_{n-1} } & n > 0
\end{array}
\right
[/tex]

So that for [itex]n > 0[/itex] we have [itex]x_{n-1} = 2 x_n^2 - 1[/itex].

(Hey, these look like the cosine half and double angle formulas! :smile:)

Does that help us realize what the whole thing multiplies itself into? Maybe this'll help:
I already derived a very similar-looking infinite product based on Viete's method. I derived from cos(theta/2^1)*cos(theta/2^2)*cos(theta/2^3)...cos(theta/2^n)

the following:

pi=2/[sqrt[1/2]*sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2]]sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2 + (1/2)*sqrt[1/2]]]...]

I used cosine's half and double-angle formulaes to do this.

I think I am not understanding what you're saying...sorry.

I'm hypothesizing that the infinite product you are trying to compute is given by

[tex]
\prod_{i=0}^{\infty} x_i
[/tex]

where the [itex]x_i[/itex] are given by the relation I presented.

So I'm trying to make sure I know what your product is before I try and tackle it. :smile:

Last edited:
Dont take offence o'l boy! Dont take me wrong, I am grateful for the help, especially from a PF mentor such as yourself.

I've been told many times to 'plug-in' (2*pi)/3 into the cos-product. But I've failed to see the significance of this...maybe someone else will not.

Quddusaliquddus...have you tried: x = sqrt(1/2 + 1/2*x) ?

1/((2/3)Gamma(1/3)Gamma(2/3))

I cheated by calculating the value using spreadsheet software, finding the reciprocal, and looking up the reciprocal in Plouffe's Inverter at
http://bootes.math.uqam.ca/cgi-bin/...O+&number=2.41839915231229&lookup_type=simple
which gives that it is 1 over 2/3*Gamma(1/3)*Gamma(2/3) (which is also sum(1/(45/2*n^2-45/2*n+5),n=1..inf) )
Here are approximate values:
the product: 0.4134966715663
its reciprocal: 2.41839915231229
Gamma(1/3): 2.67893853470775
Gamma(2/3): 1.35411793942640
From this page
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaFunction.html
we get Gamma(1/3)Gamma(2/3) = 2*PI/sqrt(3) so the value is
(3/4)*sqrt(3)*PI

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an infinite product?

An infinite product is a mathematical concept where an infinite number of factors are multiplied together. It is similar to an infinite sum, but instead of adding numbers, we are multiplying them.

2. How is an infinite product different from a finite product?

In a finite product, there is a limited number of factors being multiplied together, while in an infinite product, there are an unlimited number of factors. Additionally, a finite product will have a finite result, whereas an infinite product can have a finite or infinite result depending on the factors being multiplied.

3. What are some real-life applications of infinite products?

Infinite products have various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They are used to model phenomena such as radioactive decay, population growth, and compound interest. They are also used in the study of fractals and chaotic systems.

4. How is the convergence of an infinite product determined?

The convergence of an infinite product is determined by evaluating the limit of the product as the number of factors approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite non-zero number, the product is said to converge. If the limit is zero or does not exist, the product is said to diverge.

5. What is the connection between infinite series and infinite products?

Infinite products and infinite series are closely related. An infinite product can be converted into an infinite sum by taking the natural logarithm of both sides. Similarly, an infinite sum can be converted into an infinite product by taking the exponential function of both sides. This connection is known as the Euler's formula for infinite products.