RF MEMS for Silicon: Find Permittivity, Permeability & Conductivity

In summary, you can find the Intellisite 8.1 license file online, but you may need to interpolate data tables to estimate values at your particular frequencies.
ayeshaa
Hello, can any tell website where i can find Permittivity,Permeability and conductivity(or resistivity) of silicon, silicon nitride and aluminum.thanks
and also if anyone has worked in ELECTROMAGNETIC module of Intellisite (version 8.1)for RF MEMS Switches please do tell me i need some guide line.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relative permeability of most materials that do not
contain any ferromagnetic atoms is very close to 1.0,
and the RF permeability is generally less than the DC value
for most materials. All of the materials you mentioned are
non-magnetic so the permeability will be about the same
and very close to 1.0 relative.

You say this is for *RF* MEMS; you will find with many
materials that the properties of Permittivity, Permeability,
and Conductivity vary with frequency, as well as with the
particular microstructure of the material.

Therefore values of those parameters specified at a
given frequency may not be as accurate as necessary at
a different frequency of interest. Often one can find the
values for DC, low frequencies in the 10-100kHz or 1MHz
range, then perhaps values taken at 1GHz and perhaps at
optical frequencies.

You may have to interpolate various data tables to estimate
the values at your particular frequencies.

Also for RF frqeuencies especially those in excess of
several hundred MHz, you'll find that parameters such
as the following can effect the conductivity and permittivity
-- the material's crystal / grain structure, porosity, purity,
surface roughness, substrate or overcoat layer effects, et.
al.

Aluminium, speficically, comes in many alloys and those
influence its nanostructure and microwave conductivity
somewhat, though in general the materials used for
high speed IC foundty applications may be expected to
yield relatively smooth metallized layers with relatively
good conductivity. Check various four-point-probe
measurements of various thicknesses of wafer
Aluminization layers for resistivity information beyond
what is available in the tables below if that's relevant to you.

Check the following sources for some parameters:
http://www.memsnet.org/material/
http://webelements.com/
The "CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics".
et. al.

P.S. the conductivity for silicon is hugely dependent
on doping and purity, which is why silicon semiconductors
work as circuit elements. Intrinsic undoped very pure
silicon has fairly little conductivity at low to moderate
temperatures. Once you inject some free charge carriers
into it and temperature or excitation or doping lowers the
band-gap then it can be quite conductive. The range of
conductivity is easily thousands to one depending on the
material processing.

Thanks a lot Xez for such a detailed reply.It will of gr8 help 2 me.Also if u have any other important info in the field of RF MEMS Switches please do share it with me e.g important properties required for dielectric material to be used in RF MEMS Switches

hi can anyone tell me whether it is possible to get the license file alone of intellisuite 8.53 version in net. if so please help me to get that crack file. i got the software from my friend but the license file is expired already.Even it will be good if i get the software for other versions which i can download. Also help me to get some materials for RF MEMS Capacitive Shunt switch since iam doing a project on it.

Hi ayeshaa
Hi xez
I hereby give more explanation for the thermal conductivity of silicon rubber material.
commonly the thermal conductive produts that is a combination of silicone rubber (Organic siloxane polymer), thermally conductive stuffing and flame retardants.
Many thermal materials have been used in industy to cool the components for many yease!it's really convenient for us to use this material !
any problem, please feel free to contact me, i am glad to discuss it with you

please tell me the difference between a mems switch and a mems filter

Can anyone send me a program for rf mems filters in either in MATLAB or c...

1. What is the purpose of RF MEMS for Silicon?

The purpose of RF MEMS (Microelectromechanical systems) for Silicon is to provide a way to manipulate electromagnetic waves at the microscale. This technology allows for the development of small, efficient, and high-performance devices for use in radio frequency (RF) applications.

2. How do RF MEMS for Silicon determine permittivity, permeability, and conductivity?

RF MEMS devices use various methods to determine permittivity, permeability, and conductivity of materials. One common method is to measure the capacitance of the material, which is related to its permittivity. Permeability can be determined by measuring the inductance of the material, and conductivity can be calculated by combining these two values with the material's dimensions.

3. What are the advantages of using RF MEMS for Silicon compared to traditional methods?

The use of RF MEMS for Silicon offers several advantages over traditional methods, including smaller size, higher efficiency, and faster response time. These devices also have lower power consumption and can be integrated into complex systems, making them ideal for use in modern electronic devices.

4. Are there any limitations to using RF MEMS for Silicon?

While RF MEMS for Silicon offer many benefits, there are also limitations to their use. One limitation is their sensitivity to environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, which can affect their performance. Additionally, the fabrication process for these devices can be complex and costly, making them less accessible for some applications.

5. What are some potential applications of RF MEMS for Silicon?

RF MEMS for Silicon have a wide range of potential applications, including wireless communication systems, radar and imaging devices, and sensors for various industries. They can also be used in medical devices, aerospace technology, and consumer electronics. As the technology continues to advance, we can expect to see even more innovative uses for RF MEMS for Silicon in the future.