Modulus of Elasticity for wood

In summary, the modulus of elasticity for Basswood under compression is 15,300 kPa and for Balsa wood it is 2160 psi (14,900 kPa). These values were measured parallel to the grain with a 12% moisture content. The Wood Handbook, which is referenced by Mark's Handbook, provides these values for bending tests rather than compressive tests.
koujidaisuki76
Hi. I was wondeirng if anyone knew the modulus of elasticity for Basswood and Balsa wood under compression..

I found numbers but its all different.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I noticed that in a lot of the wood data I see, the modulus of elasticity is printed for bending tests, not compressive.

According to the Wood Handbook (which is referenced by Mark's Handbook) when measured parallel to the grain and with a 12% moisture content, Basswood has a compressive strength of 15,300 kPa and a bending elastic modulus of 1040 ksi (7,200 MPa).

Balsa lists with a compressive strength, parallel to the grain with 12% moisture content, of 2160 psi (14,900 kPa) and a bending elastic modulus of 490 ksi (3,400 MPa)

I know there's a thread around here somewhere that has the link to a free download of the handbook.

Hi there! The modulus of elasticity for wood can vary depending on the specific species, moisture content, and other factors. However, here are some general values for Basswood and Balsa wood under compression:

- Basswood: 1,100-1,300 MPa
- Balsa wood: 3-4 MPa

As you can see, there is quite a difference in the modulus of elasticity between these two types of wood. This is because Basswood is a hardwood and has a higher density and stiffness compared to Balsa wood, which is a softwood and has a lower density and stiffness.

It's important to keep in mind that these values are just estimates and can vary depending on the testing method and conditions. It's always best to consult with a professional for accurate and specific information on the modulus of elasticity for a particular type of wood.

I hope this helps answer your question!

1. What is Modulus of Elasticity for wood?

The Modulus of Elasticity for wood, also known as the Young's Modulus, is a measure of the stiffness of a wood material. It measures the amount of strain a wood sample will experience when subjected to a specific amount of stress.

2. How is Modulus of Elasticity for wood measured?

Modulus of Elasticity for wood is measured by applying a known amount of stress to a wood sample and then measuring the amount of strain that the sample experiences. This is usually done using a specialized machine called an Instron or a Universal Testing Machine.

3. What are the units of Modulus of Elasticity for wood?

The units of Modulus of Elasticity for wood are typically expressed in pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa). These units represent the amount of stress per unit of cross-sectional area that a wood sample can withstand before it permanently deforms.

4. How does moisture content affect Modulus of Elasticity for wood?

Moisture content can significantly affect the Modulus of Elasticity for wood. As the moisture content of wood increases, the wood becomes softer and more pliable, resulting in a lower Modulus of Elasticity. Conversely, as the moisture content decreases, the wood becomes stiffer and more rigid, resulting in a higher Modulus of Elasticity.

5. Why is Modulus of Elasticity important for wood?

Modulus of Elasticity is an important property of wood because it reflects its strength and stiffness. It is an essential parameter in determining the load-carrying capacity and deflection behavior of wood structures, such as beams and columns. It is also crucial in selecting wood materials for construction and engineering projects, as it can indicate the suitability and durability of a particular wood species.