Magnetic Fields: Measuring Magnetic Field in a Point Inside a Volume

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of computing the magnetic field of a single permanent magnet and the concept of using an approximation to treat it as a solenoid. The discussion also mentions the frustration of analytically computing the force between two permanent magnets.
Pris
I have a cluster of magnetic sources around a volume and I need to know the real magnetic field in a point (namely x_0) inside the volume by measurements in another point x' in the surface of the volume.
I'm getting mad

Physics news on Phys.org
hehe,

I'm getting mad about computing the magnetic field of only 1 permanent magnet.
I guess that basically, if you know the field of 1, you will know the total field (summing).
Here is a wikipedia link, in which an approximation is made, to consider 1 magnet as a solenoid. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Réluctance
Unfortunately i did not find any equivalent in English.

It says :
A permanent magnet with remnant field B, length l, section s, [tex]\mu[/tex] its permability, it is equivalenent to a soleoind :
- of reluctance R = l/([tex]\mu[/tex]s)
- with : N.I = (l.B)/[tex]\mu[/tex], N the equivalent number of current loops, I the equivalent current
- length l and section s.

Imagine how is it frustrating when you need to analytically compute the force between two permanent magnets (actually, there is no viable direct computations, only based on finite element decompositions).

-----------------------------------------------------
Correct me if I'm wrong.
http://ghazi.bousselmi.googlepages.c...3%A9sentation2

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand your frustration with trying to measure the magnetic field in a point inside a volume with multiple magnetic sources. This can be a complex and challenging task, but there are methods and tools that can help you accurately measure the magnetic field in your desired point (x_0).

One approach you could take is to use a magnetic field probe, which is a device specifically designed to measure magnetic fields. By placing the probe at point x' on the surface of the volume and gradually moving it towards point x_0, you can collect data on the magnetic field strength at different distances and use this information to calculate the field at your desired point.

Another method is to use a magnetic field mapping technique, where you create a 3D map of the magnetic field by taking measurements at multiple points on the surface of the volume. This can give you a more comprehensive understanding of the magnetic field distribution within the volume and help you accurately determine the field at point x_0.

It is important to note that the accuracy of your measurements will also depend on the precision and calibration of your instruments, as well as the presence of any external factors that may affect the magnetic field. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully plan and execute your measurements to ensure reliable results.

Overall, measuring magnetic fields in a point inside a volume with multiple sources can be a challenging task, but with the right tools and techniques, it is possible to obtain accurate and meaningful data. Don't get discouraged, and remember to approach the problem systematically and seek assistance from experts if needed.

1. How is the magnetic field measured in a point inside a volume?

The magnetic field is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect and measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields. The magnetometer is placed at the desired point inside the volume and the readings are recorded.

2. What units are used to measure magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are measured in units called teslas (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss.

3. How accurate are magnetic field measurements?

The accuracy of magnetic field measurements can vary depending on the type of magnetometer used and the conditions of the measurement. Generally, modern magnetometers can provide accurate measurements with a margin of error of less than 1%.

4. Can magnetic fields be measured in all types of materials?

Magnetic fields can be measured in most materials, as long as they are not too strongly magnetic themselves. However, some materials, such as iron or steel, can distort the readings of a magnetometer, so special calibration techniques may be needed.

5. What are some real-world applications of measuring magnetic fields in a volume?

Measuring magnetic fields is useful in a variety of applications, including navigation (such as compasses and GPS systems), medical imaging (such as MRI machines), and detecting metal objects (such as in metal detectors). It is also important in scientific research, particularly in the fields of geology and physics.