Discover Why a Penny Falls into a Glass When Pushing a Card - Explained

• Thread starter smhaq
  • Start date
In summary, the movement of the penny into the glass when a card is pushed with a sudden stroke of finger is due to the high speed of the card causing a short application of friction force on the penny. This results in minimal acceleration of the penny, causing it to appear to stay in place and drop straight into the glass. The penny may also be affected by other factors such as poor contact with the card or shock waves from the sudden stroke of finger.
smhaq
My question is that if i had put a penny over a piece of a card paper placed on a glass(empty).then i pushed a card with a sudden stroke of finger,card moved ahead while the coin falls in a glass.Why it does so?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only force acting on the penny is caused by friction between penny and card. Try pushing the penny along the card by the edge to get a feel for now much that is. Because of the high speed your sudden stroke of finger gives to the card, this friction force only acts for a short time.

Intuitively you are expecting the penny to move sideways with the card. The penny starts at rest; for the penny to move sideways it has to be accelerated. The small friction force and short time that the small friction force is applied to the penny mean the penny is accelerated very little.

The penny is accelerated so little that it appears to to stay where it is, dropping straight into the glass. Watch carefully from the side and you will see the penny does move slightly in the directon of the card.

It may be that the penny is in poor contact with the card; it might be slightly flicked up by shock waves in the card from your your sudden stroke of finger; air may be dragged into the gap between penny and card. Both these effects would reduce the friction resulting in even less acceleration.

I would explain this phenomenon using the principles of physics. When the card is pushed with a sudden stroke of the finger, it creates a force that is greater than the force of gravity acting on the penny. This force causes the card to move forward, while the penny, being lighter, falls into the glass due to the force of gravity.

Additionally, the shape and size of the penny and the glass also play a role in this experiment. The penny is round and smaller in diameter than the glass, so it can easily fit through the opening and fall into the glass. The glass, on the other hand, is larger and wider, providing enough space for the penny to fall through.

Another factor to consider is air resistance. When the card is pushed, it creates a disturbance in the air around it, which exerts a force on the penny. This force, combined with the force of gravity, causes the penny to accelerate and fall into the glass.

Overall, the combination of these forces and the physical properties of the objects involved in this experiment result in the penny falling into the glass when the card is pushed. This can be further explored and tested by varying the size and weight of the objects, as well as the force used to push the card.

1. What does "help me to understand" mean?

When someone says "help me to understand," they are asking for clarification or explanation on a topic or concept that they do not fully comprehend. It is a request for further information or assistance in comprehending something.

2. How can I improve my understanding of a complex subject?

To improve your understanding of a complex subject, you can try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts and then gradually building upon your knowledge. You can also seek out additional resources such as books, articles, or experts in the field to gain a deeper understanding.

3. What are some effective strategies for helping others to understand?

Some effective strategies for helping others to understand include using analogies or real-life examples to explain a concept, asking open-ended questions to gauge their understanding, and being patient and willing to answer any questions they may have.

4. How can I overcome confusion when trying to understand something?

To overcome confusion when trying to understand something, it can be helpful to take a step back and approach the topic from a different angle. This could involve seeking out different resources, discussing it with someone else, or taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh perspective.

5. Is it important to fully understand a topic before moving on to the next one?

While it is important to have a solid understanding of a topic before moving on to the next one, it is also important to keep in mind that learning is a continuous process. It is okay to have some gaps in your understanding as long as you are willing to continue learning and filling those gaps as you go.