Where do these constants in equations come from?

• Thread starter SticksandStones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, Physicists and Mathematicians of years past discovered equations with integer and fraction constants through derivations based on first principles. These constants often arise from the dimensionality of space or from the definition of work and Newton's Second Law. While it may seem arbitrary, these constants are often chosen for convenience or because there is no measurable difference between them and a nearby integer. However, there are also examples of constants that are not integers, such as the golden ratio and pi.
SticksandStones
Something I've always wondered: how did Physicists and Mathematicians of years past discover equations with these integer (and even fraction) constants in them?

Take for example the mean-square-speed equation:
[tex]\mu \equiv \sqrt{\frac{3RT}{M_{m}}}[/tex]

or Kinetic Energy:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]
How do they discover this 3 and .5? It seems arbitrary.

Physics news on Phys.org
SticksandStones said:
Something I've always wondered: how did Physicists and Mathematicians of years past discover equations with these integer (and even fraction) constants in them?

or Kinetic Energy:
This 3 comes from dimensionality of space... which plays a role in the statistical treatment of the ideal gas law.
This .5 comes from the integral of v dv, which arises from the definition of work and Newton's Second Law.

These relations are derived from first principles...

Last edited:
The integer and even fraction constants are usually pretty apparent when you go through a derivation.

SticksandStones said:

or Kinetic Energy:

Hyperphysics is one good site to explore some of these questions, e.g.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/kintem.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/molke.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/maxspe.html

Thanks for the links Astronuc.

Something I forgot to leave out of my original post is my surprise at how often it turns out to be an integer (or simple fraction) that it is multiplied by.
Although I guess going through and deriving it shows why.

SticksandStones said:
Thanks for the links Astronuc.

Something I forgot to leave out of my original post is my surprise at how often it turns out to be an integer (or simple fraction) that it is multiplied by.
Although I guess going through and deriving it shows why.

When it comes to empirical investigation of constants, remember that, say, 100000000000000000000/100000000000000000001, is pretty close to 1. It is convenience to choose one; and the fact that there is no measurable difference.

its not ALWAYS an integer... A famous number for example is the golden ratio, which is like (1+sqr(5))/2 ~= 1.62
Or... number pi? Area of Circle = pi*r^2 ?
Many times in formulas you have square roots of things, which are irrational numbers... there are PLENTY of examples where the constants are not integers.

1. Where do these constants come from?

The constants in equations often come from experiments and observations in the real world. Scientists use data and measurements to determine the value of these constants, which then become integral parts of mathematical equations that describe the natural phenomena being studied.

2. Are these constants always the same?

Some constants, such as the speed of light or the gravitational constant, are thought to be universal and unchanging. However, there are also constants that vary in different situations or environments, such as the gas constant in thermodynamics. These varying constants can provide valuable insights into the behavior of different systems.

3. Can these constants be changed?

In general, the constants in equations cannot be changed as they are fundamental properties of the universe. However, scientists can sometimes manipulate equations by introducing new variables or parameters to account for different scenarios or factors.

4. How do scientists determine the value of constants?

Scientists use various methods to determine the value of constants, depending on the specific constant and its relevance to the research being conducted. These methods may include experiments, observations, mathematical calculations, or using established values from previous studies.

5. Why are constants important in equations?

Constants play a crucial role in equations as they allow scientists to describe and predict the behavior of natural phenomena. By incorporating constants into equations, scientists can accurately represent complex systems and make meaningful calculations and predictions based on their observations and data.