River channel problem using Bernoulli and Continuity

In summary, the question is about determining the change in velocity of a river as it flows through a narrowed channel. The Bernoulli and Continuity equations are used to solve this problem, with the specific energy equation being the most appropriate for open channel flow. The height of the water in the channel is assumed to change due to the narrowing, and further clarification can be sought if needed.
tere_lai
[SOLVED] River channel problem using Bernoulli and Continuity

Homework Statement

A river (100 m wide) flows through its rectangular channel at a depth of 2.560 m at a velocity of 2.050 m/s. What is the velocity of the discharge if the channel is narrowed to 90 m?

Homework Equations

Continuity equation: Q1 = 100m x 2.560 m x 2.050 m/s
Q2 = 90 m x H2 x V2

Bernoulli equation: V^2/2g + P/pg + z = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to set up the equations properly in order to find intercept. I'm sure that P1 (ie. pressure1) is zero, but P2 isn't. I actually tried solving the question with P2=0 but it's wrong.

A little help?

(you may have seen this in "Introductory Physics" but I don't know how to move/delete the previous thread, sorry)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there, in open channel flow usually the version of Bernoulli equation used is:

[tex] y + \frac{v^2}{2g} + z = constant [/tex]

In your case the z value probably can be ignored assuming the river doesn't have any vertical variations in its geometry. You could use this equation which is also known as the specific energy.

[tex] y + \frac{v^2}{2g} = constant [/tex]

The height of the water (z) is assumed to change due to the narrowing of the river channel. I think I know how to answer the question now...

Great!, good luck, if you have more questions feel free to ask them.

thanks for your help!

1. What is the Bernoulli equation and how does it relate to river channel problems?

The Bernoulli equation is a principle of fluid dynamics that relates the velocity, pressure, and height of a moving fluid. In river channel problems, the Bernoulli equation can be used to calculate the flow rate, pressure changes, and other important parameters of the river flow.

2. How is continuity equation used in river channel problems?

The continuity equation is a fundamental principle of fluid mechanics that states that the mass of a fluid entering a given region must equal the mass leaving that region. In river channel problems, the continuity equation is used to determine the flow rate and velocity of the river at different points along its path.

3. Can the Bernoulli and continuity equations be applied to any type of river channel?

Yes, the Bernoulli and continuity equations can be applied to any type of river channel, as long as the flow is steady and the fluid is incompressible. These equations are commonly used in both natural rivers and man-made channels.

4. What are the limitations of using Bernoulli and continuity equations in river channel problems?

The Bernoulli and continuity equations have certain limitations when applied to river channel problems. They assume steady flow, incompressible fluids, and no energy losses due to friction. These assumptions may not always hold true in real-world scenarios, and therefore, the calculated values may not be entirely accurate.

5. Are there any other equations or principles that are commonly used in river channel problems?

Yes, there are other equations and principles that are commonly used in river channel problems. Some of these include the Manning equation, which relates flow rate to channel characteristics and roughness, and the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which calculates the head loss due to friction in a pipe or channel.