Prove Weak Field Metric Homework Statement

You are correct, using the notation g_{\alpha \beta} = \eta_{\alpha \beta} + \epsilon h_{\alpha \beta} makes it easier to see where the h^{\mu \nu} terms come in. I will continue to work on this problem and see if I can come up with a solution. Thank you for your help!In summary, the problem involves proving the equation R_{00}=-\frac{1}{2}\epsilon\frac{\partial^2h_{00}}{\partial x^\alpha\partial x^\beta}+O(\epsilon^2) using the hint R^q_{lmn}=\Gamma^q_{ln,m}-\Gamma
aman02

Homework Statement

For the weak field metric
[tex]g_{00}=-1+\epsilon h_{00}+O(\epsilon^2)[/tex]
[tex]g_{\alpha\beta}=\delta_{\alpha\beta}+\epsilon h_{\alpha\beta}+O(\epsilon^2)[/tex]
Prove
[tex]R_{00}=-\frac{1}{2}\epsilon\frac{\partial^2h_{00}}{\partial x^\alpha\partial x^\beta}+O(\epsilon^2)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The hint was to use:
[tex]R^q_{lmn}=\Gamma^q_{ln,m}-\Gamma^q_{lm,n}+\Gamma^p_{ln}\Gamma^q_{pm}-\Gamma^p_{lm}\Gamma^q_{pn}[/tex]
[tex]R_{ijkl;m}+R_{ijlm;k}+R_{ijmk;l}=0[/tex]
But I couldn't figure out how, so I included
[tex]\Gamma^i_{jk}=\frac{1}{2}g^{il}(g_{jl,k}+g_{lk,j}-g_{kj,l})[/tex]
[tex]R_{jl}=R^i_{jil}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do it the long way without the Bianchi identity, and started with the basic definition of the Ricci tensor.
[tex]R_{00}=R^\alpha_{0 \alpha 0}=\Gamma^\alpha_{00,\alpha}-\Gamma^\alpha_{0 \alpha,0}+\Gamma^p_{00}\Gamma^\alpha_{p \alpha}-\Gamma^p_{0 \alpha}\Gamma^\alpha_{p0}[/tex]
Then using the definition of the Christoffel symbols,
[tex]\Gamma^\alpha_{00}=\frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha \alpha}(g_{0\alpha,0}+g_{\alpha 0,0}-g_{00,\alpha})[/tex]
[tex]g_{\alpha \alpha}\Gamma^\alpha_{00}=\frac{1}{2}(4)(-1+\epsilon h_{00}+O(\epsilon^2))_{, \alpha}[/tex]
[tex]g_{\alpha \alpha}\Gamma^\alpha_{00}=-2\epsilon (\frac{\partial h_{00}}{\partial x^\alpha})+O(\epsilon^2)[/tex]
Similarly, I found that
[tex]g_{\alpha \alpha}\Gamma^0_{0 \alpha}=2\epsilon (\frac{\partial h_{00}}{\partial x^\alpha})+O(\epsilon^2)[/tex]
It seems from here, the solution is fairly close, but I don't know what to do with the [tex]g_{\alpha \alpha}[/tex], or if I should even have them. If not, I don't know how to deal with the [tex]g^{\alpha \alpha}[/tex] in the original definition (I just lowered the indices and got the trace of the metric, 4 for our 4-dimensional space-time). Could using Bianchi help? I'm not quite sure how to proceed, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aman02 said:

Homework Statement

For the weak field metric
[tex]g_{00}=-1+\epsilon h_{00}+O(\epsilon^2)[/tex]
[tex]g_{\alpha\beta}=\delta_{\alpha\beta}+\epsilon h_{\alpha\beta}+O(\epsilon^2)[/tex]
that's a bit confusing. You mean that alpha and beta are only 1,2,3 in the second equation?

Prove
[tex]R_{00}=-\frac{1}{2}\epsilon\frac{\partial^2h_{00}}{\partial x^\alpha\partial x^\beta}+O(\epsilon^2)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The hint was to use:
[tex]R^q_{lmn}=\Gamma^q_{ln,m}-\Gamma^q_{lm,n}+\Gamma^p_{ln}\Gamma^q_{pm}-\Gamma^p_{lm}\Gamma^q_{pn}[/tex]
[tex]R_{ijkl;m}+R_{ijlm;k}+R_{ijmk;l}=0[/tex]
But I couldn't figure out how, so I included
[tex]\Gamma^i_{jk}=\frac{1}{2}g^{il}(g_{jl,k}+g_{lk,j}-g_{kj,l})[/tex]
[tex]R_{jl}=R^i_{jil}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do it the long way without the Bianchi identity, and started with the basic definition of the Ricci tensor.
[tex]R_{00}=R^\alpha_{0 \alpha 0}=\Gamma^\alpha_{00,\alpha}-\Gamma^\alpha_{0 \alpha,0}+\Gamma^p_{00}\Gamma^\alpha_{p \alpha}-\Gamma^p_{0 \alpha}\Gamma^\alpha_{p0}[/tex]
Then using the definition of the Christoffel symbols,
[tex]\Gamma^\alpha_{00}=\frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha \alpha}(g_{0\alpha,0}+g_{\alpha 0,0}-g_{00,\alpha})[/tex]

This does not make sense since there are three alphas on the right. be careful with the indices

[tex]g_{\alpha \alpha}\Gamma^\alpha_{00}=\frac{1}{2}(4)(-1+\epsilon h_{00}+O(\epsilon^2))_\alpha[/tex]

This does not make sense. What does [itex] 1_\alpha [/itex] mean? Or what is [itex] (h_{00})_\alpha[/itex]??

I am not sure about the fastest way to proceed but if you do it the long way, why not find [itex] g^{\mu \nu } [/itex] to first order? You should find easily that it is [itex] \eta^{\mu \nu} - \epsilon h^{\mu \nu} [/itex]

Last edited:
kdv said:
that's a bit confusing. You mean that alpha and beta are only 1,2,3 in the second equation?
Sorry, yes, that is what I meant.

kdv said:
This does not make sense since there are three alphas on the right. be careful with the indices
I may have skipped a step - I noticed the only non-zero elements in [tex]g_{ab}[/tex] and [tex]g^{ab}[/tex] are those on the diagonal, so I let [tex]l=\alpha[/tex]. That put a few more alphas in on the right.

kdv said:
This does not make sense. What does [itex] 1_\alpha [/itex] mean? Or what is [itex] (h_{00})_\alpha[/itex]??
Sorry, another typo...that should be [tex](-1+\epsilon h_{00}+O(\epsilon^2))_{ , \alpha}[/tex], as in partial derivative of all that with respect to the alpha coordinate. Then [itex] 1_\alpha [/itex] becomes 0, and [itex] (h_{00})_\alpha[/itex] is the partial with respect to alpha.

kdv said:
I am not sure about the fastest way to proceed but if you do it the long way, why not find [itex] g^{\mu \nu } [/itex] to first order? You should find easily that it is [itex] \eta^{\mu \nu} - \epsilon h^{\mu \nu} [/itex]
You're correct, in fact that fact is a different question on the assignment that I did solve, but I wasn't sure what the [tex]h^{\mu \nu}[/tex] would do, because the final solution didn't have anything in it of that form.

aman02 said:
Sorry, yes, that is what I meant.
Then it is easier to use the notation [tex] g_{\alpha \beta} = \eta_{\alpha \beta} + \epsilon h_{\alpha \beta} [/tex] for all the components or if you give only the spatial part, use latin indices (i,j,k)

I may have skipped a step - I noticed the only non-zero elements in [tex]g_{ab}[/tex] and [tex]g^{ab}[/tex] are those on the diagonal, so I let [tex]l=\alpha[/tex]. That put a few more alphas in on the right.

why do you assume that g has only diagonal elements?
In any case, even if it was true, you should never write something with three identical indices!

Sorry, another typo...that should be [tex](-1+\epsilon h_{00}+O(\epsilon^2))_{ , \alpha}[/tex], as in partial derivative of all that with respect to the alpha coordinate. Then [itex] 1_\alpha [/itex] becomes 0, and [itex] (h_{00})_\alpha[/itex] is the partial with respect to alpha.

You're correct, in fact that fact is a different question on the assignment that I did solve, but I wasn't sure what the [tex]h^{\mu \nu}[/tex] would do, because the final solution didn't have anything in it of that form.

Well, if you rewrite your Christoffel symbols with the correct notation for the indices it will be easier to help with the remaining steps.

Alright, thanks for the help kdv - I've gone through with correct indices and reduced the problem to showing spatial derivatives dominate time derivatives...why would this be true?

1. What is a weak field metric?

A weak field metric is a mathematical description of the curvature of space and time in the presence of a small amount of mass or energy. It is commonly used in the theory of general relativity to describe the effects of gravity in weak gravitational fields, such as those found near Earth or other small objects.

2. How is the weak field metric calculated?

The weak field metric is typically calculated using the linearized version of Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of space and time and the distribution of matter and energy. This involves solving a set of differential equations using assumptions about the strength of the gravitational field and the distribution of mass and energy.

3. Why is it important to prove the accuracy of the weak field metric?

Proving the accuracy of the weak field metric is important because it allows us to test the validity of the theory of general relativity. If the predictions made by the metric match with observations in real-world situations, it provides evidence for the correctness of the theory. Additionally, it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in weak gravitational fields.

4. What are some examples of applications of the weak field metric?

The weak field metric has many practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the trajectories of spacecraft, to understand the behavior of objects in orbit around massive bodies, and to measure the effects of gravitational lensing. It also plays a crucial role in the accurate functioning of GPS systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the weak field metric?

While the weak field metric is a powerful tool for understanding the effects of gravity, it does have some limitations. It is only accurate in situations where the gravitational field is relatively weak, and it does not take into account the effects of extreme gravitational fields, such as those near black holes. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of other forces, such as electromagnetism, which may be present in a given situation.