Diffusion Problem (Conduction)

In summary: So, one finds thatC'_n = \frac{a}{b\pi^2}\lambda = \frac{5}{2}\piso \lambda^2 = \frac{25}{4}\pi^2C'_n = \frac{a}{25b}\pi^2B = \frac{a}{25b}\pi^2Now, let \lambda_n = \frac{5}{2}\pi n,n = 0, 1, . . . so X(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty B_n sin \frac{5}{2}\pi n xand B_n = \frac{2
aeroguy2008

Homework Statement

Since the problem involved formulas I have posted it as an attachment. Please check the attachment first. (I have not scanned this problem, just wrote it in word and posted it)

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach on this problem is to start with separation of variables as I don't see any indication that tells me that I am dealing with non homogeneous conditions and can't seperate. I am thinking that in order to get u, I need to separate for sure. Can anyone verify if that seems as a reasonable approach to this problem?

Attachments

• mathproblem.jpg
    mathproblem.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 308
Physics news on Phys.org
I will post my initial approach as an attachment. Do I apply the boundary conditions while I have solved for u?

Attachments

• mathproblemx.jpg
    mathproblemx.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 302
You separated variables and determined that the "parts" of the solution are [itex]X(x)= A cos(\lambda x)+ B sin(\lambda x)[/itex] and [/quote]T(t)= Ce^{-\lambda^2 t}.

Now you can use the boundary conditions, that u(0)= 0 and u(2)= 0, which tell you that X(0)= 0 and X(2)= 0, to determine what values [itex]\lambda[/itex] can have (so that [itex]sin(2\lambda)= 0[/itex]) as well as the fact that the coefficients of [itex]cos(\lamda x)[/itex] are all 0 (so that X(0)= 0).

Since the exponential will be 1 at t= 0, You can write the initial conditions in terms of a Fourier sine series.
Since you are told that one of the terms in the expansion is of the form
[tex]\frac{a}{b\pi^2}sin(\frac{5\pi x}{2}e^(-(c/d)\pi^2t}

Woah I'm surprised HallsOfIvy could view the attachment even before it has been approved. Just something available only to mentors I suppose.

Defennder said:
Woah I'm surprised HallsOfIvy could view the attachment even before it has been approved. Just something available only to mentors I suppose.
It is the mentors that review and approve (or reject) attachments, so they must be able to view all attachments before they are approved.

What makes me wonder is that while HOI have already seen the attachement it is still pending approval :smile:

EOT, we will get banned for OT posts :rolleyes:

HallsofIvy said:
You separated variables and determined that the "parts" of the solution are [itex]X(x)= A cos(\lambda x)+ B sin(\lambda x)[/itex] and
T(t)= Ce^{-\lambda^2 t}.

Now you can use the boundary conditions, that u(0)= 0 and u(2)= 0, which tell you that X(0)= 0 and X(2)= 0, to determine what values [itex]\lambda[/itex] can have (so that [itex]sin(2\lambda)= 0[/itex]) as well as the fact that the coefficients of [itex]cos(\lamda x)[/itex] are all 0 (so that X(0)= 0).

Since the exponential will be 1 at t= 0, You can write the initial conditions in terms of a Fourier sine series.
[tex]\frac{a}{b\pi^2}sin(\frac{5\pi x}{2}e^(-(c/d)\pi^2t}[/QUOTE]

Thank you for trying to help me. I have tried a lil bit but I got confused so I guess I want to make sure that what I am doing is correct.

X(x)=A*cos(lambda*x)+B*sin(lambda*x)
X(x=0)=A*cos(0)+B*sin(0)=>A=0
X(x=2)=0=>B*sin(2*lambda)=0

Lambda=((n*Pi)/L)^2
so the eigenfunction EF, EF=B*sin((n*Pi)/L)^2

How will I move on from here?

I know that I need to consider temporal and special separately. For the spatial do I have to consider Lambda=0, Lambda<0. Lambda>0 cases?

Can anyone help me with this problem please? I'm stuck...

aeroguy2008 said:
T(t)= Ce^{-\lambda^2 t}.

[tex]\frac{a}{b\pi^2}sin(\frac{5\pi x}{2}e^(-(c/d)\pi^2t}

Thank you for trying to help me. I have tried a lil bit but I got confused so I guess I want to make sure that what I am doing is correct.

X(x)=A*cos(lambda*x)+B*sin(lambda*x)
X(x=0)=A*cos(0)+B*sin(0)=>A=0
X(x=2)=0=>B*sin(2*lambda)=0

Lambda=((n*Pi)/L)^2
so the eigenfunction EF, EF=B*sin((n*Pi)/L)^2

How will I move on from here?[/QUOTE]

HallsofIvy does what I have written here seem correct to you?

There seems to be something wrong with my previous account "aeroguy2008" so I have a new account now. How come nobody replies to my questions?

The problem is now one month old, and I suppose people were busy or waiting for some additional work.

One's solution seems correct.

One has used the boundary (spatial) conditions to eliminate the cos function and determine the eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex]. One will note that sin (n[itex]\pi[/itex]) = 0, n is an integer = 0, 1, . . . . infty.

Actually, the spatial function X(x) will be written as an infinite series of sin terms, and each will have a coefficient, Bn. Has one learned how to determine the coefficients?

From the images:

[tex]\frac{a}{b\pi^2}sin{\frac{5\pi{x}}{2}}e^{-\frac{c}{d}{\pi^2}t}[/tex]

[tex]X(x) = A cos {\lambda x} + B sin {\lambda x} = B sin {\lambda x}[/tex]

[tex]T = C e^{-\lambda^2t}[/tex]

then

[tex]X(x) T(t) = C'_n sin\,{\lambda x}\,e^{-\lambda^2{t}}[/tex] and compare to the above expression

Last edited:

What is diffusion conduction?

Diffusion conduction is a type of heat transfer that occurs when the molecules of a substance move from a region of higher concentration to a region of lower concentration. This movement of molecules results in the transfer of heat energy.

What factors affect diffusion conduction?

The rate of diffusion conduction is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two regions, the distance between the two regions, the surface area available for diffusion, and the type of material through which diffusion is occurring.

How is diffusion conduction different from other types of heat transfer?

Diffusion conduction is different from other types of heat transfer, such as convection and radiation, because it does not require the physical movement of a substance. Instead, it is solely based on the movement of molecules.

What are some real-life examples of diffusion conduction?

Diffusion conduction is a common occurrence in everyday life. Some examples include the transfer of heat from a hot stove to a pot of water, the warming of air near a hot radiator, and the cooling of a cup of hot coffee as it sits on a table.

How is diffusion conduction important in the study of thermodynamics?

Diffusion conduction is an essential concept in the study of thermodynamics because it helps explain how heat energy is transferred between objects and how temperature differences can be equalized. It is also crucial in understanding the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat energy naturally flows from hotter objects to colder objects.