Projectile Jumper Problem: Finding Takeoff Speed

• Thread starter tuber313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the problem involves a long jumper leaving the ground at 45 degrees and landing 8.2 meters away. The key information is that she lands, meaning her y displacement is zero and her final velocity in the y-direction is equal in magnitude to her initial velocity but in the opposite direction. This allows us to solve for the time in the y-direction using the equation v = v0 + at. Then, using this time and the information about angles, we can solve for the takeoff speed v0, which is 9.0 m/s.
tuber313

Homework Statement

A long jumper leaves the ground at 45 degrees above the horizontal and lands 8.2 meters away. What is her "takeoff" speed v0?

Homework Equations

x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
v^2 = v0^2 + 2ad
v = v0 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to figure this problem out. Here's the information I got from the problem so far:

x component:

x0 = 0
x = 8.2 m
a = 0

y component:

y0 = 0
a = -9.8 m/s^2There seems to be too many missing variables to solve the equation. I even tried breaking the projectile in half, which yielded me this:

x component:

x0 = 0
x = 4.1 m
a = 0
v = v0

y0 = 0
a = -9.8 m/s^2
v = 0

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also realize that v0x and v0y components are equal, since the angle is 45 degrees. I know this is important, but I can't connect it to anything.

I still can't seem to figure it out, since I need y, or how high the object goes at its highest point. I also can't figure out the time it takes... If I knew either of those, I could figure it out, but I can't seem to get anything from this.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A few points you may find useful, for the full length problem

1) the jumper 'lands' - this means that at the end of the jump the y displacement is zero as she returns to the ground (y = 0)

2) the point above means that the final velocity in the y-direction must be equal in magnitude to the initial velocity but in the opposite direction (vy = -v0y)

3) you can solve for the time in the y-direction using v = v0 + at

I think you should be able to manage the rest. The trick is just to realize what's happened in the y-direction at the end of the jump.

i understand that y=0 and vy=-v0y...

what i don't understand is how you can use v = v0 + at to find the time, since you still don't know what v0 (or v) is.

Clairefucious said:
A few points you may find useful, for the full length problem

1) the jumper 'lands' - this means that at the end of the jump the y displacement is zero as she returns to the ground (y = 0)

2) the point above means that the final velocity in the y-direction must be equal in magnitude to the initial velocity but in the opposite direction (vy = -v0y)

3) you can solve for the time in the y-direction using v = v0 + at

I think you should be able to manage the rest. The trick is just to realize what's happened in the y-direction at the end of the jump.

I should just mention that time will be a function of the v0y. When you use this time in the equation for the x-direction velocity you'll end up with something like v0x * v0y = number. Then just use what you know about the angles to get the answer.

I solved it!

It wound up being 9.0 m/s, after I found the v0x=v0y=6.338769597

Thanks so much for your help!

What is the Projectile Jumper Problem?

The Projectile Jumper Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the trajectory of a projectile launched from a certain height with a certain initial velocity and angle.

What are the key factors in solving the Projectile Jumper Problem?

The key factors in solving the Projectile Jumper Problem include the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height from which it is launched.

What is the equation used to solve the Projectile Jumper Problem?

The equation used to solve the Projectile Jumper Problem is the projectile motion equation, which is:
y = y0 + v0t + (1/2)at2
where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

What are the units of measurement used in solving the Projectile Jumper Problem?

The units of measurement used in solving the Projectile Jumper Problem are usually meters for distance, meters per second for velocity, and meters per second squared for acceleration. However, other units can be used as long as they are consistent.

How can the Projectile Jumper Problem be applied in real life?

The Projectile Jumper Problem can be applied in real life in various scenarios such as calculating the trajectory of a launched rocket, determining the flight path of a baseball, or predicting the trajectory of a thrown object. It is also used in engineering and ballistics to design and test projectiles.