Choosing a Phd Supervisor: Professor, Postdoc, or In-Between? Vote Now!

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary, when choosing a PhD supervisor, it is generally better to go with a full professor who has been working in your field for a long time. They have more experience and knowledge, can provide more guidance and mentorship, and their reference letters carry more weight. While young supervisors may be more relatable and may view you as a colleague, they may not have a full research program for you to pursue and there is the risk of them not making tenure. Ultimately, it is important to choose a supervisor who will help you write the best possible thesis and become the best possible researcher in your field.

Which kind of supervisor is best?

• Just finished postdoc

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • In between

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Professor

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
tgt
Is it better to have a Phd supervisor who've just finished their postdoc? Or someone who is established in the field as a professor? Or someone in between? Have a vote.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Ph.D. is the transition from student to colleague. Young supervisors are more likely to start to view you as a competitor while working for them. They are less likely to have a full research program with several projects for you to pursue. Also, there is the threat of the young professor not making tenure. I've heard of this happening and the student being allowed to transfer to the school where the guy was hired next, but I think the more common route is picking a new advisor and potentially throwing away a lot of time and effort.

Full professors have been working in your field for a long time, and they know which problems have been solved, which haven't been solved, and what kind of problems you should concentrate on. While they may be more busy than a younger researcher, they will be able to properly lead you into defining a good research project.

Their reference letter will also carry more weight, once you'll be done, and they will have more experience supervising students.

Go with the full professor. They have the benefit of knowledge, have probably had grad students before, they know the field and can help you make contacts, and they don't feel the need to be first author on your papers - a tenured professor can afford to put their grad students first. A new professor often can't.

A friend of mine finished a PhD in Ancient History recently (not exactly the same, I know) and he has noticed that his friends' professors are much better connected and are arranging post-doc placements a lot more successfully than his, much less established, advisor.

If they've spend 30 years networking, why not benefit?

But isn't it that one can associate with younger supervisors better? And be more on the same wavelength as them?

I think this question isn't likely to do anything besides reinforce stereotypes. I think the variation between individuals of any academic rank is much larger than the variation between the averages of academic ranks.

I think there are two sides to this question:

1) Which type of professor will help you write the best possible thesis?

2) Which type of professor will help you get a nice postdoc after graduation?

There are some people you might mesh with very well but they do not have the connections or stature of a more established professor.

It really is up to you. Personally, I say go with the professor who will help you write the best possible thesis and become the best possible research mathematician (or scientist depending on your field).

I was reading the AMS book on Stephen Smale and they had a nice little tid bit about Smale's adviser, Raoul Bott. At the time Raoul Bott was not the superstar mathematician that he went on to become. But Smale was a damn good mathematician, and that ends up winning out in the long run.

I think math careers/academia is a marathon and not a sprint. It's nice to get those good postdocs, but it's more important to keep your eye on the prize and do quality mathematics.

JasonJo said:
I think there are two sides to this question:

1) Which type of professor will help you write the best possible thesis?

2) Which type of professor will help you get a nice postdoc after graduation?

There are some people you might mesh with very well but they do not have the connections or stature of a more established professor.

It really is up to you. Personally, I say go with the professor who will help you write the best possible thesis and become the best possible research mathematician (or scientist depending on your field).

Let's say the field is maths. From experience and from reading other mathematicians, it seems best to write the thesis yourself with minimal help so the supervisor is not important. But in reality that is not so?

Could it also become a problem, that old guys are not so well suited to understanding new things?

It has happened to me, that I've successfully explained something to some young grad student (I'm undergrad myself), but I've been strangely unable to explain the same to an old professor. Sometimes I feel that the communication just works better with young guys :confused:

The old guys may not be so adept at understanding things that are completely new, but you have to understand that it's terribly difficult to spend a career learning new things and then up and say "that's it! I know everything I want, and I'm done!" (not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's not as common as some students like to believe, either). Science is a conservative field, and is rightly full of very skeptical people - it's important to be aware of the difference.

Of course, if your thesis isn't extremely controversial it's all a moot point anyway. I'm not saying you shouldn't aim for controversial, but if you want to maximize your professional chances, sometimes hedging your bets isn't as bad as it sounds.

jostpuur said:
Could it also become a problem, that old guys are not so well suited to understanding new things?

It has happened to me, that I've successfully explained something to some young grad student (I'm undergrad myself), but I've been strangely unable to explain the same to an old professor. Sometimes I feel that the communication just works better with young guys :confused:

It could be that the young grad student didn't fully understand it and so didn't see any subtle errors whereas the old professor did and that's why it didn't make sense to him.

1. What is the role of a Phd supervisor?

A Phd supervisor is responsible for guiding and supporting a Phd student throughout their research journey. They provide mentorship, offer advice and feedback on research ideas, and help the student develop their skills and knowledge in their field of study.

2. What are the main differences between a Professor, Postdoc, and an In-Between Phd supervisor?

A Professor is a senior academic with extensive research experience and a strong publication record. They often have a busy schedule and may have multiple Phd students under their supervision. A Postdoc is a recent Phd graduate who is pursuing further research experience before starting a faculty position. They may have more time to dedicate to a Phd student but may have less experience in supervising. An In-Between Phd supervisor is typically a mid-career academic who may have a good balance of experience and availability to supervise a Phd student.

3. How do I choose the right Phd supervisor for me?

Choosing a Phd supervisor is a personal decision and depends on your research interests, goals, and working style. It is important to research and reach out to potential supervisors to discuss your research ideas and expectations. You can also ask for recommendations from current or former Phd students and consider their experiences with the supervisor.

4. What should I consider when choosing between a Professor, Postdoc, or In-Between Phd supervisor?

When considering different Phd supervisors, you should think about their research expertise and publications, their availability and workload, their supervision style, and their track record of successfully supervising Phd students to completion. It is also important to consider their personality and whether you think you can have a good working relationship with them.

5. Is it possible to have more than one Phd supervisor?

Yes, it is possible to have co-supervisors for your Phd. This can be beneficial as it provides you with different perspectives and expertise. However, it is important to have clear communication and expectations between all supervisors to ensure a successful working relationship.