Are These Photographs Beyond Cute?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various photographs of rats and their behavior. The participants share their experiences with rats and their interpretations of the rats' facial expressions in the photos. Some find the rats cute and harmless, while others are wary of their sharp teeth and potential for harm. The conversation also touches on Halloween avatars and a funny incident involving a mouse bite. Overall, the participants find the photographs to be amusing and unique.
Physics news on Phys.org
Aww, very cute! Though, I'm suspicious that all the rats seem to be nibbling their toys. :biggrin: :rofl: That is one goofy looking breed of rat though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
cute until you see it's 1inch teeth!

Nah, they're only half an inch. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Nah, they're only half an inch. :biggrin:

must be a country rat, those city rats have daggers

It's a regular size teddy bear and a GIANT rat!

They're rats. Not an ounce cute.

Monique said:
Take a look at these photographs :!)
http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=545092

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/7914498-md.jpg

I have studied rats and am able to read their facial expressions , so here it goes

translation

" give me a million dollars (or food pellets) or this bear is not going to have a head by tommorrow! "

GCT said:
I have studied rats and am able to read their facial expressions , so here it goes

translation

" give me a million dollars (or food pellets) or this bear is not going to have a head by tommorrow! "

hmmm I studied Rats too and I think he says:

I see your cat and I raise you a bear

Last edited:
That are so cute! I love the one's where thay are playing instruments, oh, they're all cute!

Hmm, I studied rats too. I think he says:

Say hello to my little friend.

GCT said:

translation

I think he's saying kill your cat or I will rip apart your teddy.

Evo said:
That are so cute! I love the one's where thay are playing instruments, oh, they're all cute!

Say that when one is hanging off your finger, cute be buggered they can hurt, and all one wants is for them to die/let go.

If it were me, what I'd want most is that it not be rabid.

Redbelly98 said:
If it were me, what I'd want most is that it not be rabid.

Completely off topic but, is that your Hallowe'en avatar? :rofl: I like it!

Yes indeed, thank you. Could you tell it was me right away?

Redbelly98 said:

No, it took a moment. :biggrin:

The rat in the photo in the OP sure has a crooked nose. I think he was on the receiving end of some long teeth.

I've had rats hang off my fingers...oh, wait, no, that was a mouse...the rat just bit clean through two or three time and took off running. It was sort of a tough call whether to stop the bleeding or stop the rat running loose in the lab first. Rat bites hurt (at least I knew they were ordered pathogen free!)...and I wasn't even trying to do anything other than transfer it to a fresh cage :grumpy:...they were for a class to teach students how to handle rats and their TA failed. :rofl: Mouse bites really don't hurt. Their teeth are too tiny. The one that hung off my thumb didn't hurt at all and didn't even leave a mark I could find. They're still all cute!

Redbelly98 said:
That, as you know, scared the heck out of me!

I thought you'd been done in by the radiation from the scotch tape thread. :eek:

Redbelly98 said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

GCT said:

translation

:rofl: it does have a mean look on its face.

I thought these pictures were very original, rodents playing instruments and walking around with a cradle :smile:

I had a pet rat that went everywhere with me, this breed that looks so funny is called the dumbo rat. You can get them at pet stores here everywhere. My rat was named wally and he never bit me once, he died of pneumonia after passing out for nap and falling off his shelf into his pool. Rats like to swim and so he had a swimming pool and he loved it, but I guess I shouldn't have left it in his cage. I use to put peas in it and hed chase them for hours. He was really social and friendly.

What does "beyond cute" mean?

"Beyond cute" is a colloquial term used to describe something that is extremely adorable or endearing. It implies that the level of cuteness exceeds what is typically expected or considered normal.

What types of photographs are considered "beyond cute"?

Photographs of animals, babies, or other cute and cuddly subjects are often considered "beyond cute." However, the cuteness factor is subjective and can vary from person to person.

Could the cuteness of a photograph be scientifically measured?

The concept of cuteness is subjective and therefore cannot be scientifically measured. However, researchers have identified certain features, such as large eyes and round faces, that tend to elicit a cute response from humans.

Is there a biological reason why we find cute photographs appealing?

Yes, there is a biological basis for our response to cute photographs. Studies have shown that looking at cute images can trigger the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward.

Are there any negative effects of looking at "beyond cute" photographs?

Looking at cute photographs can have positive effects, such as boosting mood and reducing stress. However, some individuals may experience feelings of jealousy or inadequacy when comparing themselves to the subjects in the photos. It is important to consume cute photographs in moderation and maintain a healthy perspective.