Matrices and Invertible Linear Transformations

In summary, a linear transformation is invertible if and only if its representing matrix is invertible, which is true if and only if its determinant is non-zero. This can also be shown by proving that the function is both "one-to-one" and "onto".
war485

Homework Statement

How do I know if this linear transformation is invertible or not?

T: [ x ] ---> [ 2y ]
[ y ] [ x-3y ]

(I also uploaded a small .bmp file to represent this if this looks too ugly)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I thought maybe it could be represented by a transformation matrix T
[ 0 2 ]
[ 1 -3 ]

So then I just took the inverse of T, which I got as
[ 1.5 1 ]
[ 0.5 0 ]

So does that mean that in the question, it is invertible? Because if it is, I'm getting the impression that these R2 to R2 linear transformations are invertible. Would this impression be correct?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    3.8 KB · Views: 560
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a linear transformation is invertible if and only if a matrix representing it in some basis is invertible. And that is the true if and only if the determinant is non-zero so just observing that 0(-3)- (1)(2)= -2 is sufficient.

Of course, from the basic definition a function is invertible if and only if it is "one-to-one" and "onto" so you could do this:
Suppose f[(x,y])= f(]x',y']). Then [2y, x- 3y]= [2y', x'- 3y'] so 2y= 2y' and y= y'. Then x- 3y= x' -3y'= x'- 3y so x= x'. The function is "one-to-one".

If [u, v] is any vector in R2, if f([x,y])= [u, v], then 2y= u and x- 3y= v. From the first equation, y= u/2 so x- 3y= x- (3/2)u= v and x= (3/2)u+ v. Yes, there exist [x, y] such that f([x,y])= [u, v] for any [u,v] so f is "onto".

Yes, your impression is correct. The linear transformation T is invertible because its transformation matrix has a non-zero determinant, which is a necessary and sufficient condition for invertibility. Your calculation of the inverse matrix is also correct. Keep in mind that not all linear transformations are invertible, so it is important to check the determinant or the existence of an inverse before assuming invertibility.

What is a Matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and physics to represent mathematical operations and data.

What is an Invertible Linear Transformation?

An invertible linear transformation is a function that maps vectors from one vector space to another in a way that preserves linear relationships. It has a unique inverse function that allows for the original vector to be retrieved.

How do you determine if a Matrix is Invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. The determinant is a scalar value that can be calculated from the matrix and determines whether or not the matrix has an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is not invertible.

What is the Inverse of a Matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is denoted by adding a superscript -1 to the original matrix. The inverse of a matrix allows for the original matrix to be "undone" or "reversed."

What is the Importance of Invertible Linear Transformations in Science?

Invertible linear transformations are important in science because they allow for the manipulation and analysis of data and systems using mathematical operations. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and understand real-world phenomena. Invertible linear transformations also have applications in computer graphics, machine learning, and cryptography.