The Debate Over Natural Numbers: 0 vs 1

In summary, there are two different ways of defining the natural numbers: 0, 1, 2, ... and 1, 2, 3, ... The former is historically used and referred to as "whole numbers," while the latter is more commonly used in modern treatments. However, it ultimately doesn't matter which one is used as long as consistency is maintained. Some set theorists prefer to include 0 in the natural numbers, but it is not necessary for the important property of being countable.
snits
Why do some people define the natural numbers as the integers 0,1,2,3... while others define them as the integers 1,2,3... ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The former, 0, 1, 2, ..., (now usually referred to as the "whole numbers"), historically, was used by Peano when he set up "Peano's axioms" for the natural numbers. Modern treatments usually start with 1, 2, 3, ... It really doesn't matter which you use as long as you are consistent.

HallsofIvy said:
Modern treatments usually start with 1, 2, 3, ... It really doesn't matter which you use as long as you are consistent.
:eek: I don't remember the last time I've seen a modern treatment starting with 1 instead of 0!

Hurkyl said:
:eek: I don't remember the last time I've seen a modern treatment starting with 1 instead of 0!

Ditto. I thought it was the reverse: 1, 2, 3, ... was classic for the Peano axioms, but modern treatments use 0, 1, 2, ...

Oh, dear,am I living backwards?

Edmund Landau's famous Foundations of Analysis starts with 1. 0 is then defined as an equivalence class.

The way I see it, set theorists like to include 0 in the natural numbers, and everyone else doesn't. :)

Either that, or they omit any mention of "natural numbers" completely and call it, say, Z+, the set of positive integers.

Last edited:
The important property of both N and Z+ is that they are countable. Whether 0 is cool enought to join the party usually doesn't matter.

What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are the set of positive integers that are commonly used for counting and ordering. These numbers start from 1 and continue indefinitely, without including any fractions or negative numbers.

Why is there a debate over whether 0 should be included in natural numbers?

The debate over 0 vs 1 as a natural number stems from the different definitions and interpretations of natural numbers. Some mathematicians argue that 0 should be included as it is the starting point of the number line and is a necessary placeholder for counting. Others argue that 0 is not a natural number as it does not follow the pattern of increasing by 1 and it has no predecessor.

What are the main arguments for including 0 as a natural number?

The main arguments for including 0 as a natural number are based on the concept of completeness and consistency in mathematical systems. Including 0 as a natural number allows for a more complete and consistent set of numbers, especially in fields such as algebra and calculus. Additionally, 0 has a significant role in many mathematical operations and equations, making it a useful and necessary number to include.

What are the main arguments against including 0 as a natural number?

The main arguments against including 0 as a natural number are based on the historical and traditional definition of natural numbers as counting numbers starting from 1. Some argue that including 0 would disrupt the simplicity and clarity of the concept of natural numbers. Others also argue that 0 has different properties and characteristics compared to other natural numbers, making it distinct and not fitting in the same category.

Is there a definitive answer to the debate over 0 vs 1 as a natural number?

No, there is no definitive answer to this debate as it is a matter of perspective and interpretation. Different mathematical fields and contexts may have different conventions and definitions for natural numbers, and therefore the inclusion of 0 may vary. Ultimately, the use of 0 or 1 as a natural number depends on the specific context and purpose of the mathematical system being used.