Extension of a Functional

In summary: Can anyone provide some guidance on how to approach this problem?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding linear extensions and calculating norms for a functional f on R^2. The ultimate goal is to apply the Hahn-Banach Theorem for Normed Spaces and show that the norms of f and its extensions are the same. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem.
azdang

Homework Statement

I am to illustrate a particular theorem by considering a functional f on [tex]R^2[/tex] defined by [tex]f(x)=\alpha_1 \xi_1 + \alpha_2 \xi_2[/tex], [tex]x=(\xi_1,\xi_2)[/tex], its linear extensions [tex]\bar{f}[/tex] to [tex]R^3[/tex] and the corresponding norms.

I'm having a couple problems with this problem. For one, I haven't ever had to find linear extensions before, so I have no clue how to figure that out.

The Theorem to apply this to is the Hahn-Banach Theorem for Normed Spaces. I would want to show that the norms of f and the extensions are the same to illustrate this.

I think the norm of f is the sup|f(x)| over all x's in [tex]R^2[/tex] where, ||x||=1. And the norm of the extension is the sup|[tex]\bar{f}(x)[/tex]| over all x's in [tex]R^3[/tex] where ||x||=1.

As you can see, I'm pretty lost on most of this. I think I know what I need to figure out, but I just don't have any idea how to get at that. Can anyone offer some guidance? Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations f(x)=\alpha_1 \xi_1 + \alpha_2 \xi_2, x=(\xi_1,\xi_2)The Attempt at a Solution I'm not sure where to begin with this problem. I know that I need to find the linear extensions of f and then calculate the norms of both f and the extension. But I have no idea how to start.

What is an extension of a functional?

An extension of a functional is a new function that is defined for a larger set of inputs than the original function. This allows for the original function to be applied to a wider range of inputs without changing its core definition.

Why is extending a functional important?

Extending a functional allows for greater flexibility and versatility in problem-solving. It also reduces the need to create multiple functions for similar tasks, leading to more efficient and organized code.

How do you extend a functional?

To extend a functional, you can add new parameters to the existing function or modify the existing parameters to accept a wider range of inputs. Alternatively, you can create a new function that builds upon the original function.

What are some common examples of extending a functional?

Common examples of extending a functional include adding new methods to a class, creating a subclass that inherits from a parent class, and using higher-order functions to create new functions from existing ones.

What are the potential challenges of extending a functional?

One potential challenge is ensuring that the new function does not interfere with the existing functionality of the original function. Additionally, careful consideration must be given to the potential impact on existing code and any dependencies that may be affected by the extension.