Metal sphere torn apart in electric field

In summary, the electric field needed to break a metal sphere up is proportional to the charge density (E) and the radius of the sphere. However, the force to break it apart remains the same if the thickness of the sphere's walls remain the same.
krishna mohan
I read a question from a question paper..which went something like this...

There is a hollow metal sphere, initially uncharged, put in a uniform field. A field strength E0 is required to break the sphere. If the radius of the sphere is doubled, but the thickness of its walls is not changed, then what is the value of the electric field needed to break it up?

In Griffiths 3rd ed, eg 3.8, I saw that a charge density proportional to E and to cos(theta) is built up in the sphere..on integrating this over each hemisphere, I found that one hemisphere is positive and the other negative..but with equal magnitude of charge proportional to E and radius(r) squared. Thus, force will be proportional to E squared and r squared.

Since, in the second case, the thickness of the walls remains the same, I reasoned that the force to break it apart should be the same as before.
Now, force depends on (E x r)^2...
So..if r doubles,,we need to use only E0/2...

But my answer does not match with the given solution..where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the force per unit length on each hemisphere.
This is F/(2 pi R)~E^2 R.

krishna mohan said:
Since, in the second case, the thickness of the walls remains the same, I reasoned that the force to break it apart should be the same as before.
The circumference of the sphere at the waist, and the cross section (circumference times thickness) of metal are proportional to the radius of the sphere. So why should the tensile force to break it apart remain the same?

i can't back it up with math yet, but I am getting the strange feeling that the field must be four times stronger just from the phrasing of the question.

Thanks clem and bob..

Is the failure do to tensile failure or buckling? It seems to make a difference.

Guess it should be tensile failure...the positive part of the sphere is pulled along the electric field and the negative part in the opposite direction...both forces being away from centre of sphere..

1. How does an electric field tear apart a metal sphere?

When a metal sphere is placed in an electric field, the field creates an imbalance of electric charge on the surface of the sphere. This results in a force called the electrostatic force, which pulls on the charges and causes them to move. If the force is strong enough, it can overcome the cohesive forces holding the metal atoms together, causing the sphere to tear apart.

2. What materials are most susceptible to being torn apart in an electric field?

Materials that have weak cohesive forces, such as metals with low melting points, are more susceptible to being torn apart in an electric field. This is because the electrostatic force can easily overcome the cohesive forces in these materials.

3. Can a metal sphere be torn apart in a weak electric field?

It is possible for a metal sphere to be torn apart in a weak electric field, but it would require a significantly longer amount of time. This is because the electrostatic force is not as strong in a weak electric field, so it would take longer for the cohesive forces to be overcome.

4. Are there any safety concerns with metal spheres being torn apart in electric fields?

Yes, there are safety concerns with metal spheres being torn apart in electric fields. The process of tearing apart a metal sphere can generate high temperatures and release sparks, which can be a fire hazard. Additionally, the metal fragments can be propelled outwards at high speeds, posing a danger to anyone nearby.

5. How is the tearing apart of a metal sphere in an electric field relevant to scientific research?

The tearing apart of a metal sphere in an electric field is relevant to scientific research in fields such as material science and engineering. By studying this phenomenon, researchers can gain a better understanding of how materials behave in extreme conditions and develop new materials with stronger cohesive forces that can resist being torn apart in electric fields.