An upper bound in temperature?

In summary, the question is whether a gas with all molecules moving at the speed of light has a finite or infinite temperature. The answer is that temperature is determined by average energy, not speed, so there is no upper limit. This may cause confusion if temperature is defined by collisions per unit area per second.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm wondering if a gas in which all its molecules are moving very close to the speed of light has a finite temperature.
More precisely, if we take the limit of the speed of the particles to be exactly the speed of light (I know it's impossible to reach, but as I'm calculating an upper bound I think I can do that), is the temperature of the gas infinite, as the kinetic energy of the molecules and the masses of the molecules, or is it finite as their speed?
If it is finite then there exist an upper bound temperature for any body. In this case, does the upper bound depends on the nature of the gas? (for example an electrons gas, a protons one).
Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Roughly speaking, the temperature depends on the average energy of the molecules, not the average speed, so there would be no upper limit.

JoAuSc said:
Roughly speaking, the temperature depends on the average energy of the molecules, not the average speed, so there would be no upper limit.

Ok thanks. I got the confusion since I've heard in my class that we could define the temperature of a gas by the number of collisions of the gas' particles against a wall per unit of area divided by one second.

What is an upper bound in temperature?

An upper bound in temperature refers to the maximum possible temperature that can be reached in a given system. It is usually expressed in terms of the absolute temperature scale, such as Kelvin or Rankine.

Why is an upper bound in temperature important?

An upper bound in temperature is important because it helps us understand the limits of what is possible in terms of temperature. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations based on the maximum temperature that can be reached in a system.

How is an upper bound in temperature determined?

An upper bound in temperature is determined by various factors, including the properties of the system and the laws of thermodynamics. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the maximum temperature that can be achieved in a controlled environment.

What are some examples of upper bounds in temperature?

Some examples of upper bounds in temperature include the melting point of a substance, the maximum temperature that can be reached in a chemical reaction, and the temperature at the core of the sun.

Can an upper bound in temperature be exceeded?

No, an upper bound in temperature cannot be exceeded. It represents the maximum possible temperature that can be reached in a given system, and going beyond this limit would violate the laws of thermodynamics.