Scientific Computing Jobs: Resources & Opportunities After BS

In summary, the person is planning on completing a B.Sc. in math with a minor in physics and then working for a few years before pursuing graduate studies in scientific computing. They are wondering what types of jobs are available in this field and where they can find them. They are also curious about job opportunities right after obtaining their B.Sc. but are not interested in becoming a high school teacher. They are advised to look into what people in math, applied math, and engineering departments are doing and consider taking any job that seems interesting, even if it may not seem important. The speaker, who also has a BSc in math, suggests that having a passion for the work is more important than having a fancy degree.
lubuntu
I plan on finishing up a B.Sc. in math with a minor in physics in the next few years. Afterward I would like to get a job for a few years and then continue in graduate school learning more about scientific computing and the like.

My question is what sorts of jobs are available in scientific computing and where can they be found? I am finding it very hard to separate out the "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering" jobs from the stuff I am interested with doing searches for jobs online. If anyone has any resource, I will be indebted to you.

Also fresh out my BS what sort of jobs will be available to me, and NO I am not at all interested in becoming a High School teacher. ;)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to say what jobs are available in scientific computing since it varies. If you end up with a good knowledge of math, physics, applied math methods, etc (which you should be if you do pursue that grad program), you would be well suited to work with physicists, engineers, physical chemists, etc but it is hard to give you a definite answer. From my experience I think it might be best to look into what the people in the depts of math, applied math, and engineering are doing and check to see if they need any extra help - that will help you get an idea of what they do and what you might want to do in the future.

I also have a BSc in math (tho my minor is in medical sciences) and I have found jobs in tutoring, lab work, and all that junk. The best advice I can give you is to take any job that seems interesting, even if the position isn't that 'important' (ie data entry, lab assistant). If you have a passion for what you are doing you will find that you will learn new things all the time and this will help you just as much (if not more) than having a fancy degree.

for your question! As a scientist with a background in math and physics, you are well-positioned for a career in scientific computing. This field combines the principles of computer science and mathematics to solve complex problems in various scientific disciplines. With the increasing reliance on technology and data in scientific research, the demand for skilled scientific computing professionals is on the rise.

Some potential job titles in this field include data scientist, computational scientist, research analyst, and software developer. These roles can be found in a variety of industries, such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, and government agencies.

In terms of resources, I recommend exploring job search websites like Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn to find specific job listings in scientific computing. You can also check with your university's career center or alumni network for potential job opportunities.

As a recent graduate with a B.Sc. in math and a minor in physics, you may be qualified for entry-level positions in scientific computing. These can include data analyst, research assistant, or junior software developer roles. These positions can provide valuable experience and exposure to different aspects of scientific computing, which can help you determine your specific interests and career path.

In addition to job opportunities, I highly recommend considering graduate school in scientific computing. This will allow you to deepen your knowledge and skills in this field and open up more advanced job opportunities in the future. You can also research internships or co-op programs in scientific computing that may be available to students in your area.

I hope this helps guide you in your search for scientific computing jobs and opportunities. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What types of jobs can I pursue with a BS in Scientific Computing?

With a BS in Scientific Computing, you can pursue a variety of jobs in different industries such as healthcare, pharmaceuticals, engineering, finance, and technology. Some specific job titles include data scientist, computational biologist, software engineer, and research analyst.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in Scientific Computing?

To succeed in Scientific Computing, you will need a strong foundation in computer science, mathematics, and statistics. Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, and Java is also essential. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are crucial for applying scientific principles to real-world problems.

3. Are there opportunities for advancement in Scientific Computing?

Yes, there are many opportunities for advancement in Scientific Computing. With experience and additional education, you can move up to more senior positions, take on leadership roles, or even start your own company. There are also opportunities for specialization in specific fields within Scientific Computing, such as bioinformatics or financial modeling.

4. Are there any resources available to help me find a job in Scientific Computing?

Yes, there are several resources available to help you find a job in Scientific Computing. These include job search engines such as Indeed and LinkedIn, as well as professional organizations like the Association for Computing Machinery and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. Networking with professionals in the field and attending job fairs are also useful resources.

5. What can I expect in terms of salary and job outlook for Scientific Computing?

The salary and job outlook for Scientific Computing is very promising. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for computer and information research scientists, which includes those in Scientific Computing, was $126,830 in May 2020. The job outlook is also expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations, with a projected 15% increase from 2019 to 2029.