New planet that doesnt fit with kepler's 3rd law

In summary, the mass of a new found planet can be calculated by taking the distance between the planet and the sun, and their respective masses, to determine the distance from the planet to the barycenter. Then, using Kepler and Newton's equations, the speed of the planet and the time it takes to travel in a circular path can be calculated, ultimately resulting in an equation that takes the mass of the planet into account and can be solved to find its mass.
edoarad

Homework Statement

i need to find the mass of a new found planet at a given radius from the sun (R) and with a given cycle length (T)

Homework Equations

Kepler and Newton

The Attempt at a Solution

of course if R and T would fit with keplers third law then there would be no way to find the mass but because it doesn't fit (T is shorter than it should have been) i thought that mabye M is big enough so that it could enfluance the sun. i tried finding the center of mass but that didnt lead to anywhere..

hope someone can help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The orbital period / distance of a planet is not related to it's mass. The distribution of masses of the planets is an effect of how they were formed.

thank you

edoarad said:

Homework Statement

i need to find the mass of a new found planet at a given radius from the sun (R) and with a given cycle length (T)

Homework Equations

Kepler and Newton

The Attempt at a Solution

of course if R and T would fit with keplers third law then there would be no way to find the mass but because it doesn't fit (T is shorter than it should have been) i thought that mabye M is big enough so that it could enfluance the sun. i tried finding the center of mass but that didnt lead to anywhere..

hope someone can help me :)

You're on the right track. The Sun and any planet orbit their barycenter, or center of mass of the system. For instance, if they were of equal mass, they orbit a point halfway between them. For planets very small compared to the Sun, the barycenter is very nearly at the center of the Sun. In these cases you can safely ignore the mass of the planet, as it will make no noticeable difference.

When as the mass of the planet becomes greater, you start to see a difference.

In these cases, you have to take the position of the barycenter into account. A more massive planet will result in a shorter period.

Here's how you can do that:

Take the distance between Sun and planet and their respective masses to find the distance from planet to barycenter (Rb)

Determine the speed the planet would have to move in a circle with a radius of Rb so that the gravitational force between the Sun and planet is just enough to hold it in that circular path.

Determine how long it takes for the planet to travel a circle with a radius of Rb at that speed.

Since in your case you don't know the mass of the planet, you'll have to just use a variable for it as you go along. At the end you should get an equation that gives you the period of the orbit while taking the mass of the planet into account. Once you have this, you can plug in all the knowns and solve for the mass of the planet.

1. What is Kepler's 3rd law and how does it relate to planets?

Kepler's 3rd law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This means that the further a planet is from its star, the longer its orbital period will be.

2. What does it mean for a planet to not fit with Kepler's 3rd law?

If a planet does not fit with Kepler's 3rd law, it means that its orbital period and distance from its star do not follow the expected pattern. This could indicate that there are other factors at play, such as the presence of additional planets or the effects of a binary star system.

3. How can a new planet be discovered that doesn't fit with Kepler's 3rd law?

New planets can be discovered through various methods, such as transit photometry or radial velocity measurements. If a planet is found through one of these methods and its orbital period and distance do not match up with Kepler's 3rd law, it could indicate that the planet is not alone in its system or that there are other factors affecting its orbit.

4. Does a planet that doesn't fit with Kepler's 3rd law have any significance?

Yes, a planet that doesn't fit with Kepler's 3rd law can have significant implications for our understanding of planetary systems. It could indicate the presence of other planets or gravitational influences that we were previously unaware of, and could also help us refine and expand upon our current models and theories.

5. Are there other laws or theories that can explain a planet not fitting with Kepler's 3rd law?

Yes, there are other laws and theories that can help explain why a planet may not fit with Kepler's 3rd law. For example, Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation can play a role in understanding the orbital dynamics of a planet, as well as the effects of other celestial bodies such as moons, asteroids, and comets.