Just tell me what equations to use, or anything.

• Thread starter osulongboard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of formulas and understanding electric fields and potential differences to find the speed and displacement of an electron in a given scenario. It emphasizes the importance of practicing and familiarizing oneself with the formulas to solve such problems effectively.
osulongboard
QuestioN!
1.An electron accelerates from rest through a potential difference of 206 V. What is its final speed? (in m/s)

2. An electron that has a horizontal initial speed of 4.50 106 m/s enters a region that has an electric field of 120 V/m pointing vertically upward.
(a)How long does the electron take to travel 9 cm in the horizontal direction?

(b) In this same time, what is the vertical displacement of the electron? Treat up as positive.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Osulongboard, you should collect all the formulas for your class on a sheet of paper and write down what each one says. For example,

F = qE says an electric field causes a force on a charge.
a = F/m says a force causes a mass m to accelerate
Energy = qV says a potential change gives a charge energy
I = V/R says a potential causes a current in a resistor

Once you have this list (and I've given you most of what you need for these questions), you must practise reading the problem and then finding the right equation in your list by looking at the words. In #1, you have "potential difference" in the question so you know you need a formula with a V in it, but which one? Well, the question tells you that the potential difference causes an electron to increase its speed - or energy. Look for the formula that says that.

thanks a ton! got it figured out.

1. What type of equations should I use for my experiment?

The type of equations you should use will depend on the specific variables and relationships you are looking to understand in your experiment. It is important to carefully consider your experimental design and research question in order to determine the appropriate equations to use.

2. Can I use equations from previous studies or experiments?

Yes, you can certainly use equations from previous studies or experiments as long as they are relevant to your research question and you properly cite the source. However, it is important to make sure that the variables and conditions in your experiment are similar to those in the previous studies in order for the equations to be applicable.

3. How do I know if I am using the right equations?

To ensure that you are using the right equations, it is important to carefully review the assumptions and limitations of the equations and make sure they are relevant to your experiment. You can also consult with other scientists or experts in the field to confirm the validity of your chosen equations.

4. Can I create my own equations for my experiment?

Yes, you can create your own equations for your experiment, as long as they are based on sound scientific principles and properly tested and validated. It is important to clearly explain and justify your equations in your research findings.

5. Are there any resources that can help me find the right equations?

Yes, there are various resources that can help you find the right equations for your experiment. You can consult scientific journals, textbooks, or online databases for relevant equations. Additionally, you can seek guidance from your research advisor or colleagues in your field of study.